The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2001, 01:19 PM   #1
STEVE M

Tn. whitetails; 2 odd questions

How tall is the average Tenn. buck from belly to shoulder; and how long are they (average) from chest to rump?
I know this is an odd question but the reason why is I want to be able to use the crosshairs in my scope as a double check for rangeing.
Old November 11, 2001, 02:43 PM   #2
griz

Good question. I keep reading the experts in the magazines say that a typical buck is 18 inches at the chest. A typical deer here in Virginia is in the 12 to 14 range the way I measured them. If you assumed the wrong measurement you could be off in range estimation by 33 percent, an easy miss at long range.
I have hunted in TN before but never had a deer stand still long enough to measure one.
Old November 12, 2001, 04:40 PM   #3
PaP

I understand what you are saying, but at least in eastern TN the majority of shots are 100 yards or less. I am not sure what you are measuring is applicable.

I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I just do not understand the need.
Old November 12, 2001, 06:23 PM   #4
Will Beararms

Never use a scope for anything but killing. Get a range finder or mark distances from your stand and bring binocs. Using a scope for anything but shooting is a risky proposition since you will be pointing a loaded weapon at something or someone you don't intend necessarily to shoot.
Old November 15, 2001, 05:33 AM   #5
STEVE M

There are several places where a long shot would be nessasary where I hunt.
I am not talking about using a scope instead of biocs, only as a last check on range after a deer has been ID'ed. I don't hunt from a stand and can't afford a range finder (spent to much money on practice ammo). I always carry my binoculars with me (and use them first).