The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2001, 08:39 AM   #1
Matt1911

I was wondering if it is possible to load shells starting with primer only,and working up charges for dog training?I got the idea from Dunn's catalog.They sell brass dummy shells that you load a primer in.Walking around with a pocket full of loose primers,and trying to train a dog does not seem safe or practical to me.Besides,going from primer to full charge seems like a big jump to me.
These rounds will be used in a Mossberg pump,besides scaring neihbors and local law enforcement(i have private property i can train the dog at,well seclueded)is there any pressure/other concerns i should be aware of?Any one have pet loads for this?I do have a blank pistol,and the dogs love to see it come out(play time),i would like them to get the same love of the shotgun.
thanks,
Matt
Old February 14, 2001, 01:00 AM   #2
Michael Priddy

Matt, I started my German Short Hair on 357 mag.with primmer only. I would wait until she was away from me and had her attention on having fun when I pull the trigger with the gun behind me. Later when she paid that no attention, I used a twenty two pistol. I finally switched to a 20ga. After that she paid no attenton to a gun shot. I always let her get 60/70yds away before firing. When we started hunting, I tried to never shoot over her. Always beside and a little forward. Most of the time several steps forward before the birds flushed.

You know I don't like sitting beside some guy at the range shooting a magnum. I had a friend that developed a flinch shooting his own short barrel Remington Mod. 7 in a 7mm-o8. Good luck..OOBuckshot