The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Wreck-n-Crew

Stray Rifle Bullet hits school.

A stray bullet from a rifle penetrated the metal doors of a local school and came to rest in the hallway. http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crim...-school/nZm8k/
Local police talked to some people target practicing with rifles during the time, but deny having that Caliber.

This is bad. The thought of what could have happened is scary. I now it's not the first time this has happened, but I just can't understand why someone would be so ignorant.

This school is only a few blocks from me and in a direct path between where I live and the where the bullet was fired from. The bullet came across A major interstate (I 75).

I wonder how anyone with a high powered rifle could not know what kind of backstop they have and realized if it was safe at the distance they were shooting from!
Old September 6, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
M1ke10191

I'd like to think it was an arcing shot fired on purpose rather than a crappy backstop, but then again if it went through the doors with enough force to penetrate...it probably was the latter.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I'd like to think it was an arcing shot fired on purpose rather than a crappy backstop, but then again if it went through the doors with enough force to penetrate...it probably was the latter.
An arcing shot will definitely come down with enough remaining velocity/energy to be deadly. Even a straight up shot can come down with the potential to be lethal under certain circumstances.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

A friend of mine lives on a farm in california's central valley. Their farm is surrounded by houses on all sides.

He built a ratty looking mound of dirt, held in place by scrap lumber. What an eyesore. That was his bullet backstop.

One day he was shooting a 223 mini 14 and the Sheriff shows up. Seems one of his bullets went through his contraption and put a whole in a neighbor's truck. The neighbor's son was near the truck.

Some people are just stupid. Too stupid to own guns. IMO
Old September 7, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

The size of a backstop and it's construction material determine it's value.

My first thought was that they had a 50 yard backstop and they backed up to 200. In other words too small and they pulled a shot.
Maybe they were trying to sight in a new scope and thought they had it adjusted. Backed up too far and away it went.

Considering the population here, the thought that the people that the police talked to who claim to not own that caliber, and happened to be shooting from the same area as where the bullet came from, doesn't make since.

Get the feeling there was a good tongue lashing from the LE. Think they had no definitive proof or legal reason for a search and felt lesson learned.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; September 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Armed_Chicagoan

"The slug, believed to be a high-caliber round fired from a long rifle"

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard some journalist use the term "high-caliber round". It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but this is far from the first time I've seen it.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Here is a view from the highway looking East and the blue double doors are the ones hit. https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.03517...,88.59,,2,6.34

Here is an Arial view of the school on the right, and the direction of the fired shot came from somewhere on the left. https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.03522...04823&t=h&z=18

It is right around five hundred ft to the other side of the highway.

This is where I believe the shots came from. https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.03534...01206&t=h&z=20
It is a gravel pit where a local nursery produces and refines it's own materials.

The fields are a mixture of corn and soybean. Where you see the light brown is now soybean and the other fields are corn this year.

If you look at the pit, it appears to have a natural backstop facing the school. Just to the right of the bobcat and Trammel/conveyor.

The map is Google map and interactive. Not 100% this is where the shots came from but I love Google maps...really nice tool.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not good. Expect the range to be closed.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Armed_Chicagoan

That gravel pit is just 100 yards from the interstate and less than 300 from the school. What kind of idiots would be shooting in that direction?
Old September 7, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
manta49

People have to be careful to know where their bullets go. It reminds me of an incident here a few years ago they believed the .22 bullet traveled around 400 meters.

Quote:
Darragh Somers was shot in the head as he played outside Mullinaskea Primary School, near Enniskillen, on 22 April.

Police believe the shooting was accidental.
Darragh was shot in the head by a bullet from a .22 rifle.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
That gravel pit is just 100 yards from the interstate and less than 300 from the school. What kind of idiots would be shooting in that direction?
My count was about 600' or 200 yds. But I am not 100% they came from there,
this came from word on the street (the gossip around town ).

I decided to check if it was likely and it looks very likely from what I gathered from Google Earth.