The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2013, 12:06 PM   #51
WV_gunner

I do crazy stuff in my sleep. Usually just sleep talking about the craziest stuff. Sometimes it's more than that. For instance I once recently turned all of my alarms off on my phone because I thought it'd kill me because it knew what time I was getting up. I also once it was a grenade and threw it. Sometimes I end up waking up with it in the floor and all kinds of things. Having a gun within arms reach while I sleep could be a bad idea.
Old July 2, 2013, 12:59 PM   #52
allaroundhunter

Re: Loaded gun within reach of bed. Bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_gunner View Post
I do crazy stuff in my sleep. Usually just sleep talking about the craziest stuff. Sometimes it's more than that. For instance I once recently turned all of my alarms off on my phone because I thought it'd kill me because it knew what time I was getting up. I also once it was a grenade and threw it. Sometimes I end up waking up with it in the floor and all kinds of things. Having a gun within arms reach while I sleep could be a bad idea.
Sounds like the worst you would do is shoot your phone in self defense
Old July 2, 2013, 01:07 PM   #53
Stevie-Ray

Mine still sits on the nightstand as it has for decades, except now, for the last 10 or so years, it is my EDC. I am fully awake and cognizant in an instant, always have been, and I know not everybody is, and each have to find out what their immediate mental capacity is upon rude awakening. I have another problem that has just cropped up in the last few weeks as illustrated in another thread. Low blood-pressure can completely incapacitate me to where I am useless to myself and the wife, enough to let a potential home invader get the upper hand fairly easily. I need a few seconds sitting up to equalize or sometimes I'll black out. Not good in an emergency situation.
Old July 4, 2013, 09:21 AM   #54
deepcreek

If you have to ask I think you already know the answer.

Quote:
I've always resisted keeping my gun loaded and within reach of my bed. Why? Well, I've been known to have very vivid dreams, sometimes involving imminent threats. I'd hate to reach for my gun when I'm half asleep, not fully certain of what's real and what's imaginary.

So, I've always told myself that I need to be awake and cognizant enough to walk a few steps, insert a magazine and work the action, or be able to work the touch keypad on my pistol safe. I figure if I can do either of these, I'm alert enough to make good decisions. Obviously, this isn't as fast as keeping it on a nightstand, but it seems safer to me.

How do others deal with this issue? Thoughts? Comments?
Old July 4, 2013, 11:55 AM   #55
flintlock.50

Quote:
If you have to ask I think you already know the answer.
No, I DON'T already know the answer. I know how I deal with this issue. But I asked how OTHERS deal with it. I'm surprised at the number and variety of responses. It's been a good discussion.

As an NRA instructor, I always emphasize the #1 rule of firearm safety: Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times. I can't reconcile that with keeping a loaded gun under your pillow.

Keeping it within easy reach is a different story. For myself, I've chosen to add a step to ensure I'm fully awake.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old July 4, 2013, 06:12 PM   #56
besafe2

My gun is "a few steps away " also to make sure I'm fully awake.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:40 PM   #57
Garycw

Loaded gun within reach of bed. Bad idea?

Mine lays within inches from me on nightstand, same direction, same angle, same gun, ammo, holster and operation every night no matter where I'm sleeping at. Right next to a small high intensity light with strobe option. I can grab both with my eyes closed in seconds.
Old July 5, 2013, 04:18 PM   #58
bikerbill

This issue has been discussed many times, and I'd have to say it's totally a personal decision, based on your personal sleeping and waking habits ... I keep a 1911 locked and loaded on the nightstand next to my side of the bed, oriented so I can see the night sights glowing, along with a spare mag, fixed blade knife, cell phone and Surefire flashlight ... I'm a light sleeper, almost never dream (at least that I can remember) and wake smoothly and completely ... our dog sleeps in the bedroom with us and can be counted on to give me enough notice to arm myself and decide how to proceed ...
Old July 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #59
Chris9472

If one is on certain prescription drugs, has certain mental diseases or psychological issues, then the answer to the question of whether such a person should keep a loaded firearm ready to go right next to their bedside is a resounding no. This is not a matter of "personal choice" or "what works best for me" but one of common sense and safety. Such a person is far more likely to be more dangerous to themselves or their loved ones then to an intruder. At the very least, keep the chamber(s) cleared and/or the mag disconnected.

One needs to recognize their situation, swallow their pride and take the necessary measures to protect themselves and those around them. If one is unable or unwilling to do so, they should not have any firearms.

Last edited by Chris9472; July 7, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 06:54 PM   #60
Garycw

Everybody situation is different. Sleep habits, health issues, medications etc. For me I wouldn't go to bed/ sleep without one within reach. Loaded and chambered.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:18 AM   #61
Blackwood

In my country it is strictly forbidden to store a gun under the pillow or at any other place outside the weapon safe. But Merlin keeps watch and if that is not enough, I have a large butcher knife and can handle it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merlin.jpg (19.6 KB, 74 views)
Old July 10, 2013, 06:49 PM   #62
Garycw

I would say Merlin does a fine job. Beautiful dog!
I don't like gun under pillows, but a gun out of reach from bed, to me is a BAD idea.
Old July 21, 2013, 02:22 AM   #63
skizzums

if you really don't feel comfortabl sleeping with a loaded weapon, then don't. maybe you should get those little beepers for all the doors and windows so you have time to get your weapon loaded when you need it. im sure an experiencce criminal could get around those, but most burglaries are done simply by kicking in the door or breaking a window.
Old July 22, 2013, 01:52 PM   #64
csmsss

A question for discussion - pretend for just one second that you are (stupidly) a nighttime burglar, and have elected to burgle an inhabited dwelling while the occupants are asleep. Would you or would you not check the nightstand for a firearm?
Old July 22, 2013, 06:34 PM   #65
Bluestarlizzard

Csmass,

I think the point of robbing a house while the occupaints are asleep is to avoid the occupants and leave before they wake up.

Which, I would think, would mean avoiding getting to close to the sleeping occupaints. So no, I don't think burgelers would be checking the nightstands.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:23 PM   #66
Dwight55

Quote:
A question for discussion - pretend for just one second that you are (stupidly) a nighttime burglar, and have elected to burgle an inhabited dwelling while the occupants are asleep. Would you or would you not check the nightstand for a firearm?
NO ! If I did such a thing, . . . it would only be after I had figured out that what I want is where I can get it, . . . and I would not be dumb enough to go into the bedroom.

You can get shot right real good and dead doing stupid stuff like that.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 22, 2013, 08:34 PM   #67
Garycw

I would not go to sleep without a loaded gun within reach these days.. Even though I almost shot the fax machine yesterday night about 4am. Phone didn't ring , but decided to go through its motions for some reason? Sounded Exactly like outside door latch opening
I was alert and wide awake heading for door in about two seconds!

Upload from TapaTalk
Old July 22, 2013, 09:11 PM   #68
ranchito457

3 young kids in my house.So mine has to be locked up in safe next to bed.But since we live out in the country-called the alarm company and had no less than 80 sensors added to the house.I have this place tighter than Fort Knox.It takes the police 30 minutes to get out here but it takes me 3 seconds to open my safe..
Old July 22, 2013, 09:22 PM   #69
ripnbst

I keep a snub nose .38 a few steps away. It is fully loaded and ready to go though. If I am reaching for it, I don't want to have to mess with loading it.
Old July 22, 2013, 09:26 PM   #70
baddarryl

My solution. The resident Beagle is worthless!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130722_221539.jpg (222.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130722_222207.jpg (250.7 KB, 42 views)
Old July 22, 2013, 09:31 PM   #71
baddarryl

Quote:
In my country it is strictly forbidden to store a gun under the pillow or at any other place outside the weapon safe. But Merlin keeps watch and if that is not enough, I have a large butcher knife and can handle it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merlin.jpg (19.6 KB, 33 views)
Bellt MERLIN auf Deutsch?
Old July 23, 2013, 08:18 AM   #72
csmsss

Quote:
I think the point of robbing a house while the occupaints are asleep is to avoid the occupants and leave before they wake up.
Is it? I would think if the burglar's primary goal was to avoid the occupants, he/she would make entry during the day when it is far less likely that anyone would be home.
Old July 23, 2013, 10:08 AM   #73
doofus47

Well, about a mile down the road, a guy got was returning from walking his dogs and got shot by a burglar who had found his bedside piece.....

Lot's of things wrong with that storyline (going unarmed and solo into your broken-in house w/out calling police, etc), but the crux of the turn of events seems to be that he left his bedside piece out.

Lock boxes are cheap.
Old July 23, 2013, 10:55 AM   #74
csmsss

Quote:
Lock boxes are cheap.
And easily defeated with small tools. A lock box is, at best, a very short term obstacle and should only be considered a means of buying time and not a secure means of protecting a firearm from an intruder.
Old July 23, 2013, 12:41 PM   #75
pax

Every method of securing the gun can be defeated, given time and tools.

But a lockbox can and often does buy time, as a criminal who encounters one is more likely to pry the box off the wall and take the whole thing with him than he is to arm himself and lie in wait for the homeowner.

pax

Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. – Mary Shafer
Closed Thread