The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Pops1085

Best way to load an Ar-15?

Have been practicing at home and the range and I see some of my military buddys slap the bottom of their mags when they reload where as I tend to just do the push/pull method. Is one way better than the other?
Old December 13, 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Mezzanine

Tap Rack Bang, the recommended way to clear a Failure to Fire and how many will load a full magazine into their AR. I do it, just out of old habits...

Last edited by Mezzanine; December 13, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think this is more a thread for the semi-auto rifle forum but i feel more certain I have fully passed the latch mechanism on a rifle or pistol mag when I "drive it home" with the heel of my palm...

Brent
Old December 13, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
MTSCMike

Because 30 rounders are curved, I do the push/pull rather than the tap(slap), rack with those. When I do a speed reload during a 3-gun match I tend to use 20 rounders (unless they limit me too much on round count for the stage) because they are straight and then I just slap them home like a pistol mag and go.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:36 AM   #5
iraiam

I developed a habit of "slamming" the magazine in, and a quick pull on it to be sure it's locked in. I guess it's kind of like slapping a pistol magazine in.

I'm not sure when I developed this habit, I'm just reloading as fast as I can I think.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 14, 2012, 03:37 AM   #6
allaroundhunter

I use the push-pull method. When I grab a magazine out of a mag carrier, my hand is around the body of the mag. It would be more movement (and therefore more time) to slap the bottom, so I just give it a good push and then pull to make sure that it is seated. Then press the bolt release unless it is a combat reload.

The only time I slap the bottom of my rifle mag is if I have a malfunction, or if I pull down on it and it has failed to seat properly.

Either way is correct, and if someone criticizes you for using the push-pull as opposed to slapping the bottom (or vice versa), well, I would not take much more advice from them.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Dwight55

Push pull has worked well for me since early 70's, . . .

Since I gave up smoking, . . . gotta keep some of those "old" habits.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 14, 2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
when they reload where as I tend to just do the push/pull method. Is one way better than the other?
The guy who is very probably "the" AR guru currently teaching is Pat Rogers. He is an advocate of the push-pull. IME, especially if you are using issued magazines, slapping is both wasted motion and if you have a weak magazine, it may be enough to dislodge some rounds giving you a lovely malfunction.

FWIW, I've seen the "failure to seat" problem enough that push/pull is my advice.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #9
ltc444

Now that I am a civilian and shooting an AR 15, my problem is breaking the habit of slapping the mag against my helmet to seat the rounds. Rather rude awaking when one realizes that you are no longer wearing a helmet.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:23 AM   #10
mister2

If it's "Make ready!" time, I can load either way and use my eyes to confirm the mag catch is back in fully seated position (indicating catch is hot). I'll rack and do a "pull check" to make sure there's a round in the chamber and give the FA a couple of taps just to make sure. These are superfluous in most cases, but everything's off the clock at this point.

If it's in the middle of a timed stage/run, I'll generally keep my eyes towards the target and slap the bottom before I hit the bolt release. I try to remember to clean the mags every other time I clean the rifle, and have never had any trouble loading (and discharging) a full 30. With either 20 or 30 rd, I've gotten used to pulling and holding the mags like I do pistol mags, with my left index finger along the front edge and the mag bottom against the heel of my palm,....it makes pointing at the magwell more intuitive and ready to slap. Just my .02

Then again, I'm not at the round count that wears out springs and sundry parts every season, either.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Nanuk

I hold the mag body to insert it then slap the bottom of the mag. It may not be the fastest but the mag is ALWAYS seated.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Willie Lowman

I do not advise the slap method. Once my girlfriend loaded my AR in such a fashion and managed to push the magazine up past the mag catch. A good pull got it back to where it used to be but in a "need rifle to work right now" situation it would be bad news.

push pull. press bolt release. enjoy.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:56 AM   #13
Nanuk

Quote:
I do not advise the slap method. Once my girlfriend loaded my AR in such a fashion and managed to push the magazine up past the mag catch. A good pull got it back to where it used to be but in a "need rifle to work right now" situation it would be bad news.
Then you need to replace or adjust the mag catch and/or that mag.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:23 AM   #14
sfmedic

working with the ROK SF back in the early 80s we came up against this issue.

They were using the black plastic mags locally produced - probably used them because of the color.

when they slapped the mag - sometimes rounds flipped out the ejection port.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Willie Lowman

Nanuk, no adjustments were needed. When loading a AR15 whith the bolt open no hitting of the mag is needed. When loading an AR15 with the bolt closed a harder push may be used but again, no hitting of the mag is needed.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Steve in PA

Push/Pull is the preferred technique when loading/reloading a rifle.

With an open bolt, a magazine can be inserted and seated without any issues, normally.

With a closed bolt and a fully loaded 30-round magazine, seating the magazine can become difficult. This is why the magazines are usually downloaded 1-2 rounds to make the seating easier.

The push/pull technique is used to ensure the magazine is seated and locked in place. You do it every time you load a magazine, whether or not the bolt is open. You want a consistent method when reloading a rifle, not doing one method when the bolt is open and another when it is closed.

Never done the slapping part. I will assume it is done to ensure the magazine is seated.

Last edited by Steve in PA; December 15, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Nanuk

Quote:
Nanuk, no adjustments were needed. When loading a AR15 whith the bolt open no hitting of the mag is needed. When loading an AR15 with the bolt closed a harder push may be used but again, no hitting of the mag is needed.
You are correct in that, with the bolt open the mag should easily insert. With the bolt closed a slap on the mag may help seat it. By slap I do not mean try to send it into orbit, its more like a tap. I have been using AR's for 30 years in the Military, LE, and competition. I am an AR armorer.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:13 PM   #18
sfmedic

do they still teach SPORTS in the military?

Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap and Shoot I think it was

that called for a slap
Old December 15, 2012, 05:16 PM   #19
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, unfortunately SPORTS is still in use. Everybody gets all cornfused when I point out that the "observe" parts falls apart after sundown.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Nanuk

Here is a good video on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Ta8t16lrk
Old December 17, 2012, 02:27 PM   #21
sfmedic

hey Nanuck just watched the Travis video. Good techniques. The only thing that I would have a problem with is that he said he would use that technique for CQB.

If he is shooting and actively engaging targets I would hope he doesn't try to reload his primary but drop it and transition.

Just a minor point :-)
Old December 18, 2012, 01:32 PM   #22
Nanuk

I agree, at CQB it should be an automatic transition. The big thing we need to realize is tactics differ when operating as a team VS operating alone.

Tags
ar-15 , tactics