The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
OutlawJoseyWales

Cabela's sale

I'm sure y'all already know about this, but in case you don't, Cabela's is having a sale on a several B.P. revolvers.
Just picked up a brass '51 "sheriff" for $129 +shipping. Couldn't resist at that price.

I don't always buy brass models...but when I do, I prefer cheap ones.

Last edited by OutlawJoseyWales; May 19, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Jetchlnger

I just ordered the 1858 Rem for $179 to match my Uberti 1858 Rem 45 LC.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
arcticap

I went to Cabela's yesterday and placed a 5.5 inch Remington C&B revolver on lay-a-way.
They had at least 4 or 5 of them in stock so I asked the sales person to let me check the trigger of a new one from the box before buying it.
The triggers on the first 2 revolvers that I checked weren't acceptable because of too much gritty creep and slack. Even the sales person acknowledged that those triggers needed some work.
The trigger pull of the 3rd one that I examined was a tad heavy but it had a very crisp let off so I put a deposit on it.
The sales person did acknowledge that their black powder guns are generally not returnable like all of their other products are.
There was a thread on TheHighRoad on April 4th, 2012 about how Cabela's refused to allow the return of a defective muzzle loading rifle. So it's possible that some folks will not be able to return a revolver simply because they're not happy with the quality of it as it comes out of the box.
Here's the thread:

Y'all learn from my mistake

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...light=customer

If there's folks who have tried to return their revolvers back to Cabela's since April 4, 2012, then I'd like to hear more info. about their experience. I feel fortunate to have been able to check the gun out first before buying it. But I know that probably won't be the case for everyone else.

Last edited by arcticap; May 20, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:05 AM   #4
wheelyfun

Hey Articap,
Did you go to the Cabellas in East Hartford?
I live in Vermont, but called them yesterday to see what they had in stock, and was told "five in stock".

I ended up not going, but instead made a trip to my local gun shop, where I spotted an 1858 Pietta with 5.5" barrel. This one had checkered grips, a case-hardened frame (or chemical treatment...?) and a fluted cylinder!
They want $360. for it...which seems high, but it is a hard to find model.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences with the Cabellas return policy and the trigger feel on those that you checked out.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
arcticap

Yes, that was in East Hartford.
What a coincidence!
If someone knows how to clean up a trigger then it wouldn't be such a big deal.
But I don't know how to do that nor do I want to buy a gun that needs trigger work if I can help it.
I didn't check the display model or the 4th one still in the box.
But there was another guy ready to buy another of the same 5.5" Remington models right after me. He was busy buying accessories at the time that I was checking out the triggers and his wife was right there watching me do it.
But the fellow had told already me what he intended to buy.

Last edited by arcticap; May 20, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 01:31 PM   #6
toolslinger

Yep Buyer Beware.

That was me with the defective rifle. I have ordered 3 pistols from Cabelas in the past and luckily they were all good.
Now it is my understanding that this is a new policy and it may be somewhat
"selective" ...Maybe I just talked to the wrong customer service turkey?
Lucky for me I was able to repair the gun myself .
Y'all be careful out there.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
tripe1917

I have returned a Uberti 1849 Pocket Colt to the Fort Worth Cabelas without any problem. The sales person examined the pistol and saw the same thing I had noticed and I was allowed the option to either exchange it or get a refund. The pistol had not been fired and was still in its original packaging.