The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 25, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Beentown71

Prepper and Chamber adaptors...

Have a nephew that is slowly becoming one of the doomsday preppers. He was asking about this product and all I can see is problems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-pack-Zombi...-/160767996628

I wonder if anyone has tried them? What were the results?

It seems like anything with a smaller diameter is going to bounce around the barrel before coming out. The pressure loss from the size of boolits alone is going to make them a lot less effective. I wonder what the speed would be of a .38 special out of a 12 gauge barrel?

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 25, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

It doesn't say whether or not the pistol-caliber adapters are rifled (I'm assuming not), but it looks like a dandy way to turn a shotgun into a 4- or 5-inch smoothbore pistol (if that's something you would want in the first place).

Once the bullet leaves the adaptor, the pressure behind it is going to drop essentially to atmospheric pressure and the bullet will stop accelerating, regardless of the shotgun barrel length.
Old March 25, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Beentown71

I guess it would have the adapter to build some pressure/speed.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 26, 2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Flopsweat

Never tried one, and won't, for exactly the reasons that you listed. I would think a prepper could find a better use for the $100.
Old March 26, 2012, 07:08 AM   #5
griz

Looks like the barrel length would be less than two inches, so the velocity should be roughly comparable to a snub nose. I wouldn't mind carrying one for finishing shots. That would only require MOE (minute of ear) accuracy from a few steps away and I think that would be possible even without rifling.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
BGutzman

It seems to me like a poor idea... Ok it probably can work but who knows what shotgun barrel damage might be done and even if it doesnt it just doesnt seem like a winning idea...

Want to shoot multiple calibers then get the appropriate guns to do so...
Old March 26, 2012, 10:06 AM   #7
30-30remchester

I have used and collected these adapters for many decades. In the early 1900's it was not unusual to travel for many months afoot in the wilderness. Food was always required, with small game filling most needs. However big game can be taken as well, when you have a way to take care of it. In the real world most people cannot shoot a handgun well enough to survive with one. So either carry 2 rifles all the time OR use a cartridge adapter. In the days of iron sight these little gadgets worked great. The problem that arrive in rifle calibers is the gun is usually sighted in for high power ammo and when a small pistol round is used they average 6" low at 25 yards. I have many over the years and regularly carry an adapter and a handful of pistol rounds when I big game hunt. Usually a 30-06 x 32 ACP, or a 30-30 x 32ACP. I have them in 45-70 x 45 ACP, 32 Win Spl x 32 Colt, 35 Rem x 380 ACP, 25-35 x 25 ACP, 250 Savage x 25 ACP plus quite a few others. I also have the ones mentioned in the op querry. These are built by a company called Short Lane. The quality is superb but the design of these are lacking. The guage x quage adapters work well at 15 yards with good patterns. However the quage x cartridge conversions are not rifled and have terrible issues. A 12 quage x 357 mag adapter shoots @ 5" groups at 25 yards and half those fired are keyholed at this range. Another design issue is some of the adapters are too long to fit in anything but break action guns. It would be so easy to design these correctly, simply rifle them and make them short enough to fit in a pump or auto loader. I have a 12 guage x 22 lr. This adapter IS rifled and shoots close to point of aim at 25 yards and shoots small groups.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:17 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

There was a reason why some Indians preferred muzzle loaders over cartridge guns. Lead with which one may cast bullets was obtainable. Cartridges not necessarily so.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
griz

How do the .251 25 ACP bullets do in a .257 bore? I've always wondered if they would slug up to the rifling
Old March 27, 2012, 09:47 AM   #10
30-30remchester

Griz, only bullets of realitively soft lead fired only behind blackpower obturate to the bore diameter or bump up as it is also known. With blackpowder being explosive it is easy for an undersize soft projectile to fill the bore. With smokeless powder there is no explosion in the barrel, just high tempatures from burning so no bump up. Top that off with jacketed bullets and we are left with shooting a .251 bullet down a .257 bore. Now to answer your question, I have just recently bought both the 250 Savage x 25ACP and 25-35 x 25 ACP adapers. I have searched for them for many years. I shot the 250 Savage only and it only one time. On most adapter using small pistol rounds in guns designed for heavy bullets, I find acceptable accuracy for small game to maximum range of 30 yards. However when shooting the 250 Savage adapter I didnt get even that good of accuracy. I would say it would be able to hit a cottontail rabbit at 25 yards only half the time and even at that the hit could be anywhere in the body of the rabbit. Combine this with @6" low sight setting and small game hunting would be iffy. Take into account I have only had 1 field trip so far with this adaper, and have lots to learn yet. But so far this adapter is the most disappointing yet. This summer I hope to do a complete shooting session with each adaper, with detailed accuracy reports and cronograph readings.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:13 AM   #11
griz

That would have been my guess, but it's good to hear it from somebody who has tried it. Thanks, griz
Old March 27, 2012, 01:58 PM   #12
TriumphGuy

Quote:
There was a reason why some Indians preferred muzzle loaders over cartridge guns. Lead with which one may cast bullets was obtainable. Cartridges not necessarily so.
Whammo. The ultimate prepper's rifle is a flintlock and a bullet mold. You can make everything you need to shoot it over a campfire, though you should probably put the black powder together a few feet away.
Old March 27, 2012, 03:33 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

I have looked at these a lot and read many supposedly first hand accounts of their use.
The problem with those is barrel length.
The 22lr one there might work pretty well.
The shotgun conversions are reputed to function pretty well and are used some in sporting clays in some event where you have to change gauges.

It looks to me like the barrels in those would be a lot less than2" remember centerfire ammo pretty much bruises if it goes off outside a chamber to contain it. I doubt you would get much better performance at all.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...&filter=881160
http://www.mcace.com/ <- longer ones that will work better.

Will buy some of these some day...
Old March 27, 2012, 03:34 PM   #14
BlueTrain

I didn't think preppies every read forums like this.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:11 PM   #15
SIGSHR

Chamber adaptors that allow the use of pistol cartridges in rifles with similar or identical bore diameters to fire on indoor ranges are a lot of fun, in the field they can be used to hunt small game. Out of a shotgun barrel not very practical IMHO.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Prepper and Chamber adaptors...

Savage Arms marketed something like it years ago caller the Fourtener. Fired 410 2-1/2" shot shells only. Adapter tube was somewhat longer in its overall length than those pictured on EBay. Savage barrel adapters never became a hit with anyone that I know of. Probably because of there being supported in a barrel front and rear with neoprene rings that often broke. It indeed proved useful on close up game like squirrel and partridges. Just my thoughts is all. SSMcG
Old March 28, 2012, 05:28 AM   #17
deerslayer303

You should check out the Pathfinder adapter. This one is 9" long 12ga. to 9mm and IS rifled. Pretty dang accurate from what I can tell how bout you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0Ae6cs5m4
Old March 28, 2012, 07:42 AM   #18
Sport45

Personally, I can't think of anything better to put in a shotgun's chamber than an appropriate shell. I can already load it with anything from birdshot to slugs.

I'd rather carry a .22 pistol and a few hundred rounds of ammo than a bag full of chamber adapters.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:14 AM   #19
danez71

It seems to me the 12ga to 20 or .410 (shot/not slug) would be good just from the stand point of ammo availability/versatility.

I understand the impact of conversions with such a short 'barrel' of ~ 2" from 12ga to say .45 or 9mm or .22lr.

Could any one provide input as to what happens as far as loss of power and shot pattern with the wad not being the correct size?
Old March 28, 2012, 09:55 AM   #20
TriumphGuy

Never tried one, but I'd bet that you'd lose significant velocity. The pattern would probably open up a bit with a .410, probably not so much with a 20 gauge.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Uncle Buck

When I originally read the post, I also saw "BeanTown", made me think of Boston and that part of New England.

That being said, and growing up in New England, for some people it would be very hard to get a handgun, let alone carry the thing. These adapters would seem to appeal to people who can not afford a handgun, because of location/requirements.

I know I am touching very close to TEOTWAWKI, but some people believe that in the "Coming apocalypse" you will need to be able to scavenge ammo.

I still think it would be better to save your money and buy the appropriate gun you need. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; March 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sphelin
Old March 29, 2012, 03:39 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

In the last ammo shortage i noticed 357 sig was king. No matter how many weeks between single boxes of 9mm, my local walmart and even LGS always had boxes of 357 sig. NONE of these adapters seem to be 357 sig though...