The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2011, 07:19 PM   #1
apollo46

Semi-Auto For Skeet/Trap

I am looking to purchase a Benelli M2 Field 28" in near future. I mostly shoot trap/skeet style shooting, but I don't want to buy a traditional over/under, I don't have a semi-auto shotgun, and really want one.
Is this an ok purchase for my needs? I am purely recreational, but my start shooting at local range competitions.

Any other suggetions would be great. Budget is $1300 and under.

Thanks!
Old November 16, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
upstate81

I am in your shoes right now. I own many guns but no brownings and I really like their new A5 in the 12 gauge hunter series not cheap but I'm sure ill find a deal eventually!
Old November 16, 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
BigJimP

Any gun you'll intend to shoot in the field ...can be used for casual clay target shooting as well. ...and in general, I'd go with a 28" or maybe a 30" barrel for a good all around gun in a semi-auto.

Nothing wrong with the Benelli - they're an Inertia system - they'll give you a little more recoil than a "gas operated" semi-auto / but the Inertia systems, at least in the Benelli, shoot very cleanly - so maintenance isn't an issue on them.

Lots of semi-autos out there ...Beretta is a leader in that platform ...and there are some under $ 1,300 ....and another gas gun is the Browning Silver series ...like the Hunter model ...and its under $1,000 ( all of the Berettas are gas guns / and so is the Browning silver series - checkout the Beretta website ...and you'll see at least a dozen semi-autos in their "field" guns and a dozen more in their "competition guns" ....and Browning makes about 14 different versions in the silver series.....
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ilver-Shotguns

but if you like the Inertia - then go with the Benelli / and don't get talked into some of the other subsidiaries that make look alike inertia guns - like Stoeger - many of them have issues / where Benelli has little if any.

Depending on what you intend to use it for ...whether its a 3" chamber or a 3 1/2" chamber may affect your choices / but personally a 3" chamber does everything I need it to do.

Remember picking a shotgun is about "Fit" - so it hits where you look - since your eye is the rear sight ...so it isn't just about the mfg ...its about picking stock dimensions that "fit" you ...

Last edited by BigJimP; November 16, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
stu925

If you don't mind a used gun you might see if you can find an old Winchester SuperX-1 Trap. I have one that I've had for 25 years+ and still powders targets like there's no tomorrow. Should be well within your budget and they're built like tanks. Beretta 391s have an excellent reputation also but probably out of your budget unless you can find a deal on a used one. You might try going to a large ATA shoot (state, zone or satellite Grand) to look for a deal, PA state shoot was always one of my favorites for all the vendors and dealers that show up. Large shoots are great places to pick up used guns since a lot of people upgrade there also. If you shoot trap with an autoloader you're going to want a shell catcher for singles, a lot of people get upset when they get pelted with empty hulls.

Stu
Old November 16, 2011, 08:08 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

semi

I use my Remington G3 20ga for sporting clays and upland birds and have problems.
it shoots like a dream and little noticeable recoil even with hunting loads.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:58 PM   #6
apollo46

Ammocrafter.....do you mean you have no problems, or you do problems. I would be using mostly Winchester and federal loads, no heavy hunting loads.
Old November 16, 2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good info above....

1100s need some small parts replaced regularly, but are well regarded by those that do.

No direct experience with the Berettas other than this A400 I'm testing, but they have lots of happy owners. Again, some PM is a very good idea.

Few Benellis seem to find themselves on the range, but no complaints there either.

Best advice I can give is, get the one that FEELS best...
Old November 16, 2011, 09:24 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

All I know about Benelli SuperSports is that BigJimP has one and likes, one of the staff at the range got one a few months ago and feels the same, Weatherby shot one the other day and had kudos for it, and while I haven't shot it the SuperSport seems to fit me best of anything. I dind't buy one because I wanted wood, a parallel stock, and I was on the fence about semi or o/u. I have sbot a couple trap rounds with a friends Cordoba and it is a nice shooter.
Old November 16, 2011, 10:01 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

G3

Beretta and Benellis are excellent. I'm just a Remington fan as they fit me very well. As for any gas operated semi, it is imperative that it is cleaned very often and especially the gas ports.

I have no trouble using 7/8 ounce loads for clays and no problem using 1 ounce heavy loads for pheasants.
Old November 16, 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
joegator

The M2 is a great gun and although I own 5 shotguns including 2 over and unders I am considering getting one myself.

The inertia system makes the gun very easy to break down and clean. Because it is not gas operated it will stay clean like a pump since you won't have the gas ported back into the chamber.

It will kick slightly harder than a gas gun but there are plenty of AA light 1 oz. rounds available that are softer on the shoulder than field rounds.

Dicks sells the American version of the M2. You can pick one up for $799. It's a great deal, you just won't be getting the high end stock but you save about $400. You can't go wrong with an M2. This is one of the preferred guns of dove hunters in South America that will put thousands of rounds thru their gun on a trip.
Old November 17, 2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Jim Watson

Skeettrap is not all one word and it is not the same game.
A trap gun is more specialized than a skeet gun.
You can do quite well at skeet with a standard field model gun and cylinder or improved cylinder choke. Put in a modified or full choke and you can get by at trap but it is not an optimum choice.

I recommend starting at skeet. I learned trap and have always found skeet difficult, but people who got the basics at skeet seem to transfer to trap ok.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:27 AM   #12
OkieCruffler

The only auto I have any experience with is the 1100 and I really liked it. Is the part replacement why I hardly ever see anyone recomend it?
Old November 17, 2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Slugo

nothing at all wrong with the M2! Maybe the best all-around autoloader...
Old November 17, 2011, 09:08 AM   #14
Boom Boom Boom

Fully agree-for an all purpose gun you cant beat an M2. the comfortech stock will take much of the felt recoil away negating the difference in recoil for gas vs inertia.

My M2 has been used for any sport/game/hunt you can name, and i would trade it for anything.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:14 AM   #15
sweetshot

I've got an M1 Super 90 20 ga. and an M2 12 ga. that are my field guns and occasionally shoot them for trap practice. Benelli offers longer recoil pads so you can even fit your LOP, (for the M2, 'cept the longest one in right hand version is on backorder....). I'd recommend the M2 just based on versatility and price from the larger chambered SBE's, and I never shoot anything larger than 3" anyway in the field, and 2.75" on the range.
Old November 17, 2011, 12:07 PM   #16
oneounceload

Another to consider is the 391 Beretta - excellent gas gun and seen on the sporting courses more and more
Old November 17, 2011, 02:38 PM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1100s have O rings that need replacing, some fairly often, some not. The springs should be replaced every 10K rounds, according to Bruce Buck.

Autoloader fans have moved on to newer models like the various B guns, but there's no flies on the 1100. Like the 870, the 1100 seems to fit an awful lot of people without modification, and there's tons of aftermarket goodies for it.

I do like the Beretta and Benellis, but were I campaigning an autoloader for clays(and I may at some point), it would more likely be an 1100 with a fitted stock, perhaps a Baker barrel, and a spare parts kit.

That would include a few O rings. a spare link, a bolt and an extra handle.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:54 PM   #18
zippy13

My under $1300 Skeet/Trap solution is a Remington 1100 Trap model with an extra barrel cut to Skeet length and choked. Where a field gun may be okay for Skeet's crossing targets, they don't do as well at Trap. A Trap gun's higher stock and rib are a real advantage when shooting Trap's rising targets and aren't a significant detriment on the Skeet field.
Old November 17, 2011, 09:41 PM   #19
krimmie

I shoot a Beretta when waterfowl hunting, but the 1100 Sporting is my clays gun.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:59 PM   #20
OkieCruffler

I absolutely love my .410 1100. I've been looking at a 12ga for $250 that needs a refin on the wood. I have no use for it but hard to pass up for that price.
Old November 18, 2011, 09:23 AM   #21
andhen2003

I just got a Beretta AL391 yesterday and will be shooting clays with it next week. Great gun. I got it for $840 from bud's gun shop, which I believe is at least $300 below retail. I've used only this model gun because it's the loaner at the range I go to, but it shoots great and was recommended to me by a friend who works for the NRA, for what I'm interested in, which is sporting clays, and pheasant hunting. I will let you know what I think when I get my new 391 into action next week.
Old November 19, 2011, 06:36 PM   #22
apollo46

Thanks AndHen....I'd be interested to hear whatcha think.
Old November 19, 2011, 08:17 PM   #23
seansean1444

remington 1100 imho
Old November 19, 2011, 11:10 PM   #24
apollo46

Going this weekend to check out some of the models you guys suggested. I'll report back soon!
Old November 20, 2011, 05:27 PM   #25
M4BGRINGO

I have a couple of 870's and 1100's, besides my Browning O/U.

I usually shoot 21 - 23 with my 1100, bought it used with a 30" and a 28" barrel. I shoot Sporting Clays and Trap with this gun. I did cut the stock a little shorter and added a better recoil pad on it. Almost don't feel it kick when I shoot it. I bought a metal clip from Brownells that stops the shells from getting ejected and hitting the person to the right of you. Makes it a little tougher to load it, have to do a k-turn with the shell, but once you have done it a few times you will see it's simple!