The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 27, 2013, 02:17 PM   #1
kraigwy

Muzzle Brakes

In case anyone is interesting, I just spent a couple hours getting rid of some of last years ammo.

My 375 H&H with a muzzle brake kicks less then my M1903A4 and My Garand.

My 300 WM also has a brake, it kicks less then any of the above.

No since shooting unless shooting is fun. I don't like getting beat when I shoot.

Now to find a brake for my 416 Rigby.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 27, 2013, 04:04 PM   #2
buckhorn_cortez

Agree. Have one on my .308 and the recoil is about the same as my 6mm.
Old July 28, 2013, 01:30 AM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I don't like getting beat when I shoot.
I generally don't get beat when I shoot, after all I have a firearm and if someone is thinking about beating me they probably don't! (I just couldn't resist!)

I have a flash hider on a 10/22, does that count? (Came that way from the factory.)

I personally like "quieter" rounds for recreational shooting, and they don't tend to tenderize my shoulder like some of the bigger puppies; although I have hunted over the years with a few of those.

Good luck with the 416 muzzle brake! Some of the bigger ones benefit from them; at the cost of the added noise!

Now, go figure...
Old July 28, 2013, 03:40 AM   #4
reallysharpe

i fired a m1a with and without one in quick succession with the same ammo and never noticed a difference. both kicked hard.
Old July 28, 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
LateNightFlight

kraigwy, what kind of muzzle brake are you using?

The only muzzle brake I have is almost comical for the reason that it's mounted on a .223, which is anything but a beast cartridge with recoil. What's cool about it is that it negates the minor recoil enough that you can often see your hits on the target. My brake is a JP like the one in this article: http://www.marbut.com/Recoil/

On the down side... I forgot to put my muffs on once and probably shaved another 10% off my existing 10% hearing loss. That ringing in my ears that sounds like a Buddhist monk playing the chimes next to your head lasted a good minute. Even though the pressure wave at my position is just enough that you feel the hair on your head move, it takes a little getting used to. Shooting prone on dry ground kicks up a fair amount of dust for a little .223, but all that aside, it's fun seeing your hits through the scope.

Mine is mounted with a couple of roll pins which make it a hassle to take on and off, and there aren't any flash hiders out there I could swap on and off when I don't want to use the brake. I wish my brake used standard flash hider threads.
Old July 28, 2013, 12:54 PM   #6
cw308

Muzzle brake

I have a Rem. 700 LTR 308 Cal. 20" Brl. Had a muzzle brake installed to stay on target , shoot from Bi pod stopped the bounce & lowered the recoil, a pleasure to shoot. At the bench, the person to the right & left of you will get the blast, so it's good to shoot in order. also sounds like your shooting a 338.
Old July 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've never been interested in a brake till I tried the new Ruger Guide Gun in .30-06.

The brake's easy on & off, I tried the gun with & without, distinct difference.
Enough so to cause me to buy the rifle.

The .30-06 isn't a huge kicker, but still...
Denis
Old July 28, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
tobnpr

If you don't mind the "massive" look of a gill-type brake, and don't want to have to thread the barrel, check out the Kahntrol brake.

I have one on my 7-08, not because of the massive recoil , but because it allows me spot my own shots. They're clamp-on, but custom made to your barrel dimensions. And they don't move, not one bit...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 29, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
myfriendis410

I have one on my .300 that makes it a joy to shoot as long as my hearing protection is on. I shot a buck a few years ago and didn't have time to put on the muffs: felt like someone snuck up behind me and poked icepicks in my ears.....
Old July 29, 2013, 01:28 PM   #10
dgludwig

I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes due to the excessive muzzle blast but I like the feature of the one Savage put on the Model 116 SE rifle, chambered in .338 Magnum that I have. You can turn it on or off by simply twisting it one way or the other. When shooting from the bench (where recoil is much more noticable) with plenty of ear protection, I shoot it "on". When hunting (where recoil is less noticable in typical hunting positions) with less hearing protection, I shoot it "off".
Concerning accuracy, I have found no difference in my rifle in terms of whether the brake is turned on or off.
Old July 29, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
WildBill45

Quote:
Now to find a brake for my 416 Rigby.
I Had one on my .460 Weatherby on an FN action ... great for shooting, but not so for hunting if your ears were off ... Trust me!

PS: When I said great for shooting it, which had a kevlar stock, I meant that it was tolerable for those pain loving souls, as it was still above 100 foot pounds or recoil or beat down ... depending on your attitude ... I am sure.

I had a brake on a Win .338 in Africa, and when I shot a wildebeest without muffs for the first time, it was a shock! That was back a ways in 94, so they may be better now, not sure...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; July 29, 2013 at 01:39 PM.