The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 2, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
bkmrebel

Enhancing a stock rifle...

Hey fellas, I'm new to the forum and new to reloading and fixing up my rifles. I have however hunted and fished all of my life(25) and think its time to take it to the next level.

My first question to the forum is what can I do to make my stock ruger mkii 7mm rem mag shoot more accurately? I have thought about having a timney trigger installed, what are your thoughts? I thought for the longest time that I just wasn't that great of a shot, until I got a tikka t3 and started shooting a lot better groups.

Thanks very much
Old March 2, 2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Lavid2002

Triggers wont make the rifle more accurate...they will, however, allow the shooter to get groups easier : )

Free floating and bedding a rifle....google them both : )
Old March 2, 2010, 07:05 PM   #3
fisherman66

I'm a fan of using a pressure point since it's so easy to undo if it doesn't improve your groups. Have you played with different loads and bullet weights? If both of those fail free floating might be the best option. It's just durn hard to put the wood shaving back in there if that doesn't help.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:14 PM   #4
bkmrebel

I've read and done a little research, but im just too scared to be honest. I don't want to mess up a "okay" gun while trying to make it better.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:23 PM   #5
fisherman66

The pressure point doesn't take more than 2 minutes to install or uninstall. A neoprene washer or a few layers of wax paper under the barrel is all it takes. A professional trigger job will make shooting accurate groups easier. A good smith should be able to do that for a reasonable charge. If the crown has nicks in it that could be another issue. Playing with the take down screws at different torques sometimes yields a sweet spot. These things are nothing to be afraid of.
Old March 4, 2010, 10:59 PM   #6
olddav

Why not find another stock and then bed, float and what ever.
Saving your original stock to restore the rifle back to its current status.
That is if your unhappy with the stock mods.
Once again, just a thought.
Old March 5, 2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Scorch

Old Ruger M77s are notoriously hit and miss when it comes to accuracy. This had more to do with the barrels used and the throating than anything else. Barrels were seconds from Douglas that would not pass an air gauge test (could be just a little off or a lot), and Ruger cut the throats very long. To improve accuracy, we used to cast the chambers to see how long the throat was then set the barrel back 1 or 2 turns as needed, recut the chamber, and recrown. Cost should be around $100 to do this nowadays. A trigger job and glass bedding would almost always clinch the deal.

Unless you are intent on keeping the factory barrel, you could try a replacement barrel.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=10801