The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 02:34 PM   #1
BanditSRT8

Give me your Fusion horror stories!!!

C'mon. I need someone to talk me out of buying a Fusion!!

I don't think there is a single bad story out there, but something has to keep me from doing it.

HELP!
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old March 26, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Warchild

"When Bob was sending me pictures of my new Fusion, they were in .jpg format and all I had was a .bmp viewer! Whaaaaaaaa!!!" Honestly, I have never heard a single bad word about Mr. Serva or Fusion.
Old March 26, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
BanditSRT8

Damn bmp format.

Although, that's not as bad as MIM format we get from other brands... hmmmmm. Damn. Still want a Fusion.

Someone try harder!!!!
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old March 26, 2009, 03:03 PM   #4
flight954

I haven't bought yet, but Bob was very informative and an all around great guy. I plan on buying a 10mm conversion kit for one of my 1911's 45ACP
Old March 26, 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
timpierce

Sorry, can't help you Bandit. I've had 2 Fusions built in the past year, and I'm getting ready to order the 3rd one. They are absolutely beautiful, tight, well fitted, and Bob Serva will work with you to give you exactly what you want. The downside is the wait, but you're buying a custom hand-fitted gun. Here are some pics of my .40

Old March 26, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
ME109

Sign me up. I want an Officers CCO with White Cocobolos. It's cost that is holding me up.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:28 PM   #7
kristop64089

I have one of Bob's, Dan Wessons. it is absolutley flawless, and if I'm lucky tonight I'll have another.

Get it! Trust me.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Jart

Quote:
Although, that's not as bad as MIM format we get from other brands... hmmmmm. Damn. Still want a Fusion.

Someone try harder!!!!
It almost sounds like you have MIM issues.

This is from STI's FAQ:
Quote:
Q. Does STI use any MIM parts?
A1 Yes. We, like most manufacturers, do but not in any of the "critical" stress or wear components. Our good friend Bob Serva of Fusion Firearms has graciously allowed us to quote his response to this question.
From that I would gather that they both use limited MIM - I know it doesn't occur on their hammers / sears.

Whatever amount they use, it doesn't keep me from buying STI and wouldn't keep me from buying Fusiion. But, in the spirit of the challenge ...

Also:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186186
You can specify a different safety should you find yourself obsessive about such matters. You can do worse than the STI parts Bob uses in some product.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
ranburr

The only problem that i have with Fusion is that they are rebranded STI components. I think there are lot better parts than STI. On the positive side, if you like STI stuff, Fusion sells it cheaper than STI does.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:12 PM   #10
LanceOregon

Quote:
C'mon. I need someone to talk me out of buying a Fusion!!

I don't think there is a single bad story out there, but something has to keep me from doing it.

HELP!
You have to be a patient man to buy a Fusion, as they can potentially take a few months to fill orders. You would have to check with them on what their current backorder is like. I got mine 9 months ago, so I would not know.

Other than that, you can pretty much have them custom build a one of a kind pistol for you, to your specifications. Is that what you would like to do?

You could save yourself money, and also avoid any wait, by simply buying a Dan Wesson.

Old March 26, 2009, 08:15 PM   #11
bluetopper

I guess I'm old school, but I don't like coatings on 1911's. It's like paint.
I like either blued or stainless, it lets the beauty of the metal show through.
Just my opinion.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:17 PM   #12
vox rationis

OK they look very nice...but let's get down to business here:

Who makes his frames? Are they cast or forged?

And yes, what MIM parts are used?
Old March 27, 2009, 04:19 PM   #13
bsbllrooster10

forged

they use forged frames and slides
Old March 27, 2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Sam06

Here is a horror story:

I smoked a guy at the last IPSC match, he was shooting a Fusion and I had my Frankenstine1911(Maybe 1K in it). I will say this his ran good and he had no problems with it. We were both shooting Single Stack(Limited to 8rd Mags and a fairly stock gun).

Fusion makes a very good quality gun, But the gun does not make the shooter Familiarity with ones firearm and Practice beat out out a high end gun most times.

There were 5 other guys shooting in my class/division/relay. The others had Kimbers and all had problems of one kind or another. My gun and the fusion were the only ones failure free

Thats a nice looking gun timepierce! I just cannot get with the forward cocking serrations. I guess I am too old school..........No offence.
Old March 27, 2009, 11:22 PM   #15
LanceOregon

Quote:
OK they look very nice...but let's get down to business here:

Who makes his frames? Are they cast or forged?

And yes, what MIM parts are used?
The staff at Fusion is very available to chat with on their forum on 1911.org:

http://1911auto.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Here is a photo of their new combat model:

And here is a highly customized 9mm that they just built for a customer:

Old March 27, 2009, 11:31 PM   #16
scorpion_tyr

Forget the horror stories! Post more pics!

I've never heard of these before. How much do they run? Do I need to sell my car?
Old March 27, 2009, 11:47 PM   #17
LanceOregon

Quote:
Forget the horror stories! Post more pics!

I've never heard of these before. How much do they run? Do I need to sell my car?
My Fusion cost me $1,500 But I have seen their guns sell for as low as $1,300 I believe they may even have some $1,200 models available.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

And here is a photo that I took of my own personal Fusion that I bought last June:

Old March 28, 2009, 12:13 AM   #18
scorpion_tyr

Thanks for the info. Those are really nice! Do they not have any logos or writing on them? That's not a bad thing IMO, simple and nice.
Old March 28, 2009, 11:38 AM   #19
BanditSRT8

Crap.

Now I must order one........

Old March 28, 2009, 08:39 PM   #20
dbknj

Hi guys.......

We offer just about anything you want. Stainless, blued, Ion Bond, Yukon coat, and two-tone in any of the above. Our slides are logo free and come with or without front cocking serrations. Also, we offer officers, commander, 5" and 6" slides.

Check our website and you can email us from there.

Thanks for the interest!!

Dale.

www.fusionfirearms.com
Old March 29, 2009, 05:00 PM   #21
LanceOregon

By far the WORSE thing about getting a Fusion is deciding exactly what to get. For as Dale mentioned, they can make just about any type of 1911 imaginable. It is an agonizing process to go through.

Some people end up buying a second, or even a third Fusion.

Here are some more examples of their imagination at work:

Old May 5, 2009, 10:48 AM   #22
txstang84

You guys suck...I've been looking at Fusion's website for the past couple of weeks wondering how long it would take to make a custom 1911...

...shame I can't view the pix here at work ...oh well
Old May 5, 2009, 11:07 AM   #23
B. Lahey

Fusion horror-story, eh?

Well, I had this small sphere of uranium-235 and some high-explosives, so I layered the explosives around the sphere and arranged blasting caps in a perfectly evenly spaced pattern with perfectly even lengths of cable to the blastbox...

You see, I was trying to make a core for the ultimate golfball, and well, things got a little out of hand.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:18 PM   #24
SGHOTH

Fusion horror story.

I bought two in 2007 and they were so nice I had to buy two more in 2008. Now I'm thinking I may need 2 for 2009. This could get expensive!

True confession time - I haven't shot the 2008 guys yet. The 5" 10mm has run flawlessly so far.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:38 PM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Horror stories?

How about the fact that they insist on only exchanging them for money? I mean, I could give them M&Ms, even pizza, but no, they want money, so I don't own one. Is that horrible enough for you?