The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2008, 06:05 AM   #1
ECHOONE

Refinishing questions

Ok I'm going to be refinishing my 1911 hopefully within the next two weeks. I should be getting the Airbrush this week, so my first question whats the proper pressure to shoot the gun Kote @ does anyone know? My second question is I should be shooting the internal part of pistol too right, but how many coats? I would assume just one light coat so I don't change dimensions on anything to much is this correct? any suggestions here, should I try to some how block or close the channel for extractor to avoid any build up in that channel and avoid problems,any helpful hints appreciated here!should I use canned air or tank?
Thanks
Old June 3, 2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Mac's!

The proper pressures depend on a lot of things: Part temperature, Gunkote temperature, type of airbrush (Internal or external mix), type of Gunkote, Etc. It just takes a lot of experimenting! Yes, you can coat all internal surfaces and parts the same as you would the outside. Gunkote will burnish to a proper fit. (It may be a little tight to start with but will loosen up from firing) The only exception to that rule is in the slide/frame rails. Those can get tight fast and may require some hand lapping to remove the excess. Don't worry about masking off any areas as long as you're using Gunkote. It's thin enough when applied properly. (Other finishes may require masking) Several thin coats are better than one thick one. Keep the airbrush moving and don't start or stop spraying while it's pointing at the part being coated. The biggest secret is surface preparation. It must be perfect for a nice looking and durable finish. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons.
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old June 4, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Scorch

I have never had problems using GunKote on the inside of guns since it is so thin, but I have never GunKoted a 1911. Brownells web site states that GunKote goes on .0004" thick when applied as directed. Unless your 1911 is extremely tight, I would say one coat inside and out will be fine.
Old June 4, 2008, 03:56 PM   #4
ECHOONE

Thanks guys, due to the thin coats they do recommend 2 maybe 3 coats so most likely will be applying the three coats to the exterior of pistol for wear purposes just to keep everything close to proper specs think I'll stick to 1 coat on interior of pistol that make sense? going with the KG product since I can order the K-Phos pretreatment from them at same time and airbrush that on before the actual spraying of Gun Kote makes things alot easier no more dunkin