The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 18, 2017, 10:16 AM   #26
weblance

Keep in mind whatever 9mm carbine you buy, it sure is nice to have one thats easy to strip to clean. The 9mm carbines are blowback operated, and they run very dirty. I have a Just Right Carbine in 9mm, and also a CMMG 9mm AR Carbine. The CMMG AR is so much easier to maintain. The Just Right Carbine is a great rifle, but its rather involved to strip. I like my guns clean, and clean them after every range trip. The AR is just a breeze.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:49 AM   #27
tahunua001

there are several AR variants that use glock mags.
there's the afforementioned beretta CX4 which has different versions to accept either 92/96 mags or PX4 mags.
there's also hipoint carbines that use the same mags as hipoint handguns.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:49 PM   #28
weblance

Just about every 9mm AR that uses Glock magazines DOES NOT have a last round bolt hold open. The Colt pattern 9mm ARs DO HAVE a last round bolt hold open. I know the OP asked for a pistol mag carbine, so I figured I better throw that info into the mix...
Old May 18, 2017, 11:12 PM   #29
CalmerThanYou

Kriss Vector...little fussy, but should be considered.
Old May 19, 2017, 08:13 AM   #30
MarkCO

Quote:
Just about every 9mm AR that uses Glock magazines DOES NOT have a last round bolt hold open.
But the best ones do. The QC10 is at the top of the heap for AR9 lowers.
Old May 19, 2017, 03:44 PM   #31
JN01

Quote:
The Just Right Carbine is a great rifle, but its rather involved to strip. I like my guns clean, and clean them after every range trip.
Actually, the new JR Carbines come with the buffer tube quick release (which you can also buy to retrofit older models) which makes field stripping easy. You still have to remove the bolt handle with an allen wrench, though.
Old May 19, 2017, 05:38 PM   #32
Berserker

I've thought about the Kel Tex 2000 for Glock mags. But they are hard to get at a good price. Maybe they have just gone up in price, or maybe some are gouging cause production can't keep up with demand.
Old May 22, 2017, 06:39 AM   #33
PSP

Thread needed a picture.

A couple of Berettas.

The CX is easy to take down and clean. it's accurate enough. One nice feature is that it's ambidextrous including case ejection, (for the 15%ers). Built like a tank as it's designed for full auto. Makes a nice combination of pistol and carbine.
Old May 23, 2017, 02:47 PM   #34
ThomasT

Quote:
I own a Camp 9 and you are WRONG!!!!! Get ANY Acetone on the ABS trigger housing and you are HOSED. ED's Red is DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!! There are many products that use Acetone and you will find that they will melt the ABS.
Who in the world cleans their guns with Acetone??? Acetone will also take the finish off the wood stock.

I have a Camp 9 and I clean it after ever 200 or so rounds. But since it is a blow back action it gets unburned powder in the action just like a 22 semi-auto. So when I clean it I take the action out of the stock and take out the trigger group for a good cleaning. Cleaning solvents will also ruin the nylon buffer. I bought a Blackjack buffer and a 17 and 21 pound recoil springs from Wolfe Springs for mine. Darn fun little rifle.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:58 AM   #35
Destructo6

Quote:
Totally forgot about the Scorpion Evo. Would like to see THOSE come down in price because they look awesome and I've read good things.
Keep an eye out. I've seen them on sale for $655. Pistol versions, mainly, but out there.

Keep all of them clean.
Old May 27, 2017, 05:57 PM   #36
SHR970

Quote:
ratshooter wrote:Who in the world cleans their guns with Acetone???
I already told you... anyone who is using Ed's Red! Between the MEK and the Acetone you will melt the trigger housing.
Old May 27, 2017, 07:13 PM   #37
ThomasT

Quote:
I already told you... anyone who is using Ed's Red! Between the MEK and the Acetone you will melt the trigger housing.
Gotcha SRH970 and I told you I take my Marlin apart so no cleaning solution gets on the stock or trigger housing. I always make sure of this because I have heard about it for years.

And I don't use Eds Red. As much as I like C.E Harris and his obvious gun savvy I don't use home brewed cleaners. I never felt the off the shelf cleaners were lacking or so expensive I had to make my own. And once again why use Acetone and even worse MEK to clean a gun? I wouldn't want it near my firearms anymore than I would want spray on brake cleaner near my guns.

If Eds Red were so good someone would be bottling it already. But I guess no one want to take a chance of selling such a volatile product that might ruin finishes and destroy plastic parts since there is so much plastic used in todays guns.

So maybe we can get back to talking about 9mm rifles and not about cleaning supplies.
Old May 27, 2017, 09:20 PM   #38
Onward Allusion

TNW Areo Survival Rifle. Takes Glock mags. Modified AR pattern. Get the pistol version w/buffer tube and then get the 16" barrel. Swaps out in about 5 seconds.
Old May 28, 2017, 07:44 PM   #39
Pinky Carruthers

Get the CZ Scorpion. Mags are $20, mine is great.
SOM
Old June 1, 2017, 09:33 PM   #40
PoiDog

I bought a RRA 9mm AR a while back. The mags that came with it didn't have the last round bolt hold open.

This gun was used, but it works great. I bought some mags from Brownells that do have the LRBHO. I think they were 3 for under $100.