The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Bond007

Colt King Cobra 4" Stainless

I just picked up a 4" Stainless Colt King Cobra. Nice Colts are difficult to find in California, so I jumped on this when I saw it in my local gunshop. I probably paid a bit too much, but am glad I did and would have regretted missing out.

It's definitely used, but looks well cared for.

The weight and balance are near perfect, and fit great in my hand. Semi-autos have always beat out revolvers for me in ergonomics, but this really the odds. The double action isn't as smooth as my newer S&W performance center, but the single action feels excellent.

It came with a shoulder holster that I don't have much use for, but the manual for the holster had a receipt tucked inside dated November 1989. Wikipedia tells me the King Cobra was introduced in 1986, so I'm guessing this is an 80's model.

This is my first Colt, and may not be my last.

Old March 30, 2013, 04:09 PM   #2
AK71

That is really nice! If you don't mind me asking, what does something like that cost in this market?
Old March 31, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Bond007

I paid $1250 before taxes and transfer fees, but as I said, California tends to drive up prices on difficult to obtain models and I was more worried about missing my opportunity than saving a few hundred.

The more I hold it the better it feels in hand.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:34 PM   #4
shouldazagged

I'm a die-hard Smith fan, but that is a beautiful piece! And I'm not so committed to S&W that I'd turn down one of those or a good DS.

Fortunately a complete lack of money keeps me from going insane in today's market.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Jeff #111

Good strong model. Evolved from the Mk V line which in turn evolved from the Mk III line. This line was a complete departure from the older Colt revolvers which were exemplified by the Python, Official Police and Detective Special. Different internal lockwork, but very strong. Colt always had excellent metallurgy as well. Congratulations. If you want to know more about your revolver I suggest the Colt Forum.

http://www.coltforum.com/index.php
Old April 1, 2013, 12:19 AM   #6
skidder

Congrats. Nice revolver.

That price is not too far off from what they have been going for here. The last gun show I saw one for $1100.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old April 1, 2013, 03:06 AM   #7
LockedBreech

Colt King Cobra 4" Stainless

If ever a .357 revolver deserved nightstand status, it's that one.

A timeless, elegant piece. Congratulations.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

That is an excellent buy. Congratulations!
Old April 1, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
boa2

Bond007:

You have a real nice looking 4" King Cobra! Congrat's on a great find!

I live near you in the San Francisco east bay area and I have an identical 4" King Cobra to yours that I had purchased approximately seven years ago at the old Contra Costa Collectible gun shop in Walnut Creek(Now closed)for $800. And this just shows how quickly the prices have risen on these King Cobras! I once had a 4" blue King Cobra but I made a mistake in selling this gun about 3 years ago!