The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 27, 2006, 07:44 AM   #1
handwerk

MPI stocks

Who have used them and what did you think?
Old September 27, 2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Clemson

I have put one on an FN commercial Mauser (J. C. Higgins Model 50). It made up into a very nice, lightweight rifle -- very accurate.

I have another Mauser 98 stock that I have not yet used.

The MPI is NOT a finished, drop-in type stock. It takes time and effort to bed the barreled action, attach a pad, swivels, etc. The stock itself is, however, several notches above the Ramlines, Corelites, etc. It is in a class with Brown and McMillan insofar as the layup of the glass and overall construction, and it is priced accordingly. It is not hollow. Rather it is filled with a foam material.

If you are willing to put the time and effort into the finished product, or you are willing to pay Doc to do it at MPI (they will fit, bed, paint, to your specs for a price), then you will end up with a VERY nice stock.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old June 16, 2008, 07:59 PM   #3
xraycommd

MPI Beware ALL

I ordered a custom "drop in" monte carlo stock late February 08, for a long action Model 70. 3 months later I receive a Model 700 Rem 300 Whthrby. stock. I called to protest and was given a big apology and we will rush you the right stock ASAP. The one sent to me looked awful rough, so I sent my old wood stock to them as a template. On June 12 I get the redo stock for my Model 70 and there is no way this was a drop in product, the safety mechanism hangs, the rear lug screw seat is too small, the cut out will not allow the magazine to seat. All Igot this time from Doc was I "misunderstood the drop in" idea and that gun smithing is required to fit the final solution. Beware of these guys
Old June 17, 2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Clemson

Re-read my post above.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com