The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 15, 2019, 03:03 PM   #1
reynolds357

Winchester Deer Season ammo

Bought a couple boxes in 25-06 because at the price I couldn't turn them down. Using them to break in a savage axis 2.
One in the box was a dudd. Bad primer. Snapped it 7 times. Still didnt fire. I have never encountered this in factory ammo.
Old November 16, 2019, 07:52 AM   #2
JJ45

This can happen. Couple months ago I had a dud PPU 9MM JHP. I don't recall this happening before with centerfire factory cartridges but hundreds of time with rimfire ammo of all makes.

I had this happen once with reloads during almost 40 years of reloading and blame it on me mishandling a primer....also if you choose to use a primer sealant and use it on the primer pocket, make sure the sealant is dry and does not obstruct the flash hole (Ask me how I know this

Incidentally, PPU 30-06 Ball, specifically designed for the M1 is my favorite ammo for that rifle. Very accurate, reliable and brass is nice for reloading in my bolt gun 06.
Old November 16, 2019, 08:02 AM   #3
reynolds357

PPU is definitely good brass compared to Fed. Win. Rem.
Old November 16, 2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Years ago my Father bought a fresh box of Federal 30 wcf a week before deer season in our local Co-op store. $1.29 their cost. He said these are for you next weekend. "Tommy go get us a deer." I did. Although I should have fill that old (International Harvester chest) with six. Five cartridges in that 20 rd box did not fire in a 1953 made Marlin 336 no matter how many times the hammer fell on them. It took me 25 years to build enough confidence to buy yet another box_ same brand. That hunting season warm-up shooting at a 50 yrd bullseye. Time: Daylight opening morning before my hunting began with that same 336. Two rounds fired ~~couldn't hit a paper plate at 50 yards. Gave the remaining new cartridges away. Walked too my Chevy 1/2 ton pulled from behind its front seat a (model 99_ 300 savage and a full box of my handloads) _ 5 rds shot. Nearly all 180 gain'ers followed each other to the same hole spot-on~a~50 yrd bullseye. Dont have that 336 anymore. My Brother blew it up while it rested in a (exterior) gun rack besides the kitchen entrance door to my folks home.
Old November 17, 2019, 01:00 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
Years ago my Father bought a fresh box of Federal 30 wcf a week before deer season in our local Co-op store. $1.29 their cost. He said these are for you next weekend. "Tommy go get us a deer." I did. Although I should have fill that old (International Harvester chest) with six. Five cartridges in that 20 rd box did not fire in a 1953 made Marlin 336 no matter how many times the hammer fell on them. It took me 25 years to build enough confidence to buy yet another box_ same brand. That hunting season warm-up shooting at a 50 yrd bullseye. Time: Daylight opening morning before my hunting began with that same 336. Two rounds fired ~~couldn't hit a paper plate at 50 yards. Gave the remaining new cartridges away. Walked too my Chevy 1/2 ton pulled from behind its front seat a (model 99_ 300 savage and a full box of my handloads) _ 5 rds shot. Nearly all 180 gain'ers followed each other to the same hole spot-on~a~50 yrd bullseye. Dont have that 336 anymore. My Brother blew it up while it rested in a (exterior) gun rack besides the kitchen entrance door to my folks home.
Ok, you must tell the "blew it up" story.
Old November 17, 2019, 02:32 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

A Savage Axis doesn't need breaking in. It's an entry level hunting rifle.
The Winchester Deer Season ammo has a lot of marketing BS connected with it too. "oversized impact diameter." Geezuz.
Anyway, factory ammo is mass produced without a lot of human QC involved.
Old November 17, 2019, 08:37 PM   #7
reynolds357

It does need breaking in. My hand lapped lilja match barrels dont need breaking in, but this button rifled "beauty" definitely needs breaking in. The way it looks, it may even get fire lapped.
Old November 18, 2019, 05:32 AM   #8
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
It does need breaking in. My hand lapped lilja match barrels dont need breaking in, but this button rifled "beauty" definitely needs breaking in. The way it looks, it may even get fire lapped.
The "entry level" comment got me curious about the Axis and I went to the Savage web sight....there are 22 different Axis models by my count. As an old wood and steel type of hunter/shooter I would like to know how your Axis compares to your Lilja match rifles?

Obviously there is a cost difference but what about functional reliability, accuracy, handling, etc.?...Thanks, JJ
Old November 18, 2019, 06:18 PM   #9
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
The "entry level" comment got me curious about the Axis and I went to the Savage web sight....there are 22 different Axis models by my count. As an old wood and steel type of hunter/shooter I would like to know how your Axis compares to your Lilja match rifles?

Obviously there is a cost difference but what about functional reliability, accuracy, handling, etc.?...Thanks, JJ
I really cant telly you much about this axis yet, but my other three are all about half minute for three shot groups. More than 3 and they start opening up. They, just like every other Savage barrel I have, copper foul very quickly compared to Lilja. Savage is very hard to clean compared to Lilja. Of course they are no where near as accurate as my Lilja barrels. For what they cost, they are good rifles. I abuse my axis rifles. They serve a purpose.