The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2011, 08:58 PM   #26
Shotput79

Fellows!!! Fellows!!!

Starting to sound like a bunch of girl scouts up in hear. I have three of the 58s one of them I just received with a $20 rebate. bought it for my birthday present. I only have eight revolvers seven Piettas, and one Uberti .44 Walker. Been shooting my revolvers a good number of years and you can't find any rust on any of them. I like Uberti revolvers but not the price. I like .44 cals But had to try out one .36 steel frame 51 Navy. Have to say I like it. With all .44 cals I can like you said buy .454 Rd ball, or bullets. The Colts look more stylish than the Remington revolvers. The Remingtons look more business like to me. Would not want to get shot by either. If I had to choose between the Colt, or Remington revolvers. I would have to keep my Remingtons. I'll hid the Walker and say I forgot to add it to the choose list. Now you don't want me in the club anymore. Love the SS revolvers, but they cost to much for me. You can get two blued revolvers for the price of one SS model. That's all for now. Now that you know all but one of my revolvers is Pietta, Hope you don't want to throw me to the dogs.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:28 PM   #27
ZVP

All good points!

The .44 is the one to have if you are just going to buy one gun. It does it all and they seem to jam up from cap fragments less often. They seem to stay in place or fall clear.Maybe there isn't as much blow-back thru the nipple with the .44???
For the rest of us who have been bitten by the "Bug", you will eventually end up with a .36 in the pile and they are a great caliber to shoot! I like the super light recoil of a .36, it is just enough to let you know it went off. Power-wise I have never had the chance to shoot any varmits or game with one but I'd expect ball shoot-through on small critters. I don't know that I'd try a Pig or somthing that large and dangerous with the .36. You need the slam of the big .44 ball.
For CAS I'd think the .44 would ring steel best.
Any theatrics that you can try to get the cap to fall clear do just slow you down. Most CAS Shooters are either nervous or racing the clock and that tends to make you want to shoot quick!
I shoot a lot at the range and have found that if you get a little rough and cock the revolver like you mean it, the cap fragments fly clear (on Colts). When I cock the revolver slow, fragments or the cap tend to fall into the frame so I try and not give them a chance to!
Remington style revolvers seem to be free from most cap jams due to the full frame but you still get the occasional piece between the cylinder and frame.
I still wish someone would have gotten Hickocks reasoning for choosing the .36. An Army frame is only slightly longer in the grip and 1/2 inch longer in the BBL. Maybe it was the overall weight of the gun? The .36 sure feels smaller! The .36 also penetrates well from what I have read. Nevertheless, Wild Bill did OK with a "little .36".
I shoot both calibers and who knows,maybe one day I'll even get a .31?
I have standardized my propellant, my cap brand, and my loads for each caliber I shoot. I do light load the one Brass frame .44 I own (22 gr Max) and I shoot my Remingtons with 30 or 35gr, My .36 Colt styles get 22 gr. It works for me and I think thaqt's what BP shooting is all about, what works for you!
Each of us has chosen a "pet" gun and mine is my 5 1/2 .44 Remington. I regulated the sight for close-up zero and with my load it shoots spot-on. I learned the sights by shooting it a lot and feel most confident hitting with it. They say to fear the man with just one gun because he can probablly shoot it and that seems like good advice to me!
The best part about Black Powder revolvers is that they're cheap to buy! Today good quality revolvers abound and nearly every gun has it's merits and is a pretty good shooter. Sure there are several tricks you can do to "slick em up", but actually out of the box they shoot well. Prices being what they are, you can own several
It's a good Hobby!
ZVP
Old July 9, 2011, 04:14 PM   #28
krazykat

zvp, right on.

lets see, you get a functioning, reliable, accurate, cheap to shoot and historically interesting pistol, and all for just below or above $200 dollars.

has got to be one of the best bargains in all of shooting.

i'm thinking of selling my ruger mkiii and marlin 30-30 to fund a new addition
to the blackpowder family...either a lyman great plains rifle or the lyman trade rifle.

might even be a flinter
Old July 9, 2011, 04:32 PM   #29
Hawg

If was me I'd go with the GPR. If you get a flinter make sure you can get real bp. Flinters don't work with subs.
Old July 9, 2011, 04:57 PM   #30
krazykat

hawg, i like both, but i do prefer the more traditional look of the great plains rifle...as far as blackpowder goes, i'll always be a strict blackpowder man.
no subs for me, and thanks, anyway, i didn't know you cant use the subs with a flint.