The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 6, 2012, 08:13 PM   #26
FloridaVeteran

Meanwhile, back at the OP's ranch

We've made quite a jump, from the OP asking about how a 22WMR compares to a 22LR and whether a wife, who presumably doesn't want to deal with more recoil than that, would benefit from a trade-up to the little magnum. If we were to stick to that comparison, and to match up the currently available ammo for those, I'd vote the 22WMR Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot clear winners over the best 22LR, which many folks might consider to be the CCI Velocitor.

Something's always better than nothing. Just my opinion, but the only time I'd opt for a 22LR over a WMR is if the LR is a very pocketable semi-auto that can hold substantially more rounds than a 7-round Smith 351C or 8-round Taurus lightweight snub, or if cost is a huge factor.

Not dissing the interesting exchanges in between. Unless I missed it, I notice that not a soul stuck up for the .25ACP. I'm amazed it is still produced and sold, unless it fills that tiny little niche where better than Long Rifle performace is required but a flat little mouse gun is also required, such as for an ankle gun.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:29 PM   #27
Cowboy_mo

Florida beat me to it.

I'm old (so the wife keeps reminding me ) and have been around handguns all my life. I grew up knowing people who carried a .25 acp long long before we had any ccw laws.

The other long lost caliber that came to mind was the .32 revolver.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:23 PM   #28
FloridaVeteran

Cowboy - I have my daddy's .25ACP Colt pocket auto. Nickel still beautiful. Gun looks almost unfired. Believe he carried it daily in the 1930s.

I go back and forth between selling it and not, but if it isn't worth more than $300 or so, I'll leave it for the grandchildren along with a note that it was made and carried when this country was very free and cherry bombs were not IEDs.
Old November 9, 2012, 12:12 AM   #29
Bill DeShivs

Buy your wife a Keltec P32. They work, are easier to carry than the Beretta 21, they don't cost a lot, and recoil is minimal.
I have no problem with the .25 auto, shot from a quality gun like a Beretta 950 or Baby Browning. The .25 works very well from short barrels, and the guns are smaller than .22 lr models.