The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Tatsumi67

Do I need another shotgun?

I live in Minneapolis and own a 20 and 12 guage winchester shotguns (1200 and 120) and they are great firearms, very reliable, easy to use and great with trap. However I wonder if I need a home defense shotgun. Partly, I guess I just want an excuse for a tactical/tacticool shotgun, but seeing as an SKS is no.1 on my list, do i really need another shotgun?
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old June 21, 2008, 03:52 PM   #2
roy reali

Yes

The two shotguns you currently own would not serve at all as HD weapons. Everyone knows that only black, shortened, rail equiped shotguns deliver the fire power to be lethal. The longer barreled, wooden ones are effective only against birds and small game.

Yes, get another one.
Old June 21, 2008, 04:12 PM   #3
sthrnfryedyankee

I would agree you should get another shotgun buuuuuuuut if you have 1 good Remington 870 you can switch from tactical to practical with a barrel swap. I have an 18.5" barrel with heat shield for tactical and a cantilever slug barrel for practical (deer huntin). Both of those barrels will put meat on the table but the 18.5" will only come in handy if your serving dinner to jeffrey dahmer.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4
10-96

Oh yes, you need anuther one. Tell your missus that folks from Wisconsin will laugh at you and talk bad about your dog if you don't have a short tactical shotgun. Then... tell her that the guys from Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and parts of Arizona are starting to pick on you becuse you don't have one of those nifty Stoeger short SXS Cowboy shotguns. Once you get past there, let us know, and we'll help you come up with a reason to need a Browning A5 or a Stevens 311 in 16ga.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 22, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5
mpage

"I have as many guns as I need, but I don't have as many guns as I want." -Senator Phil Gramm
Old June 23, 2008, 02:24 AM   #6
rdoggsilva

Oh yes, I have six but I still need more, more, more!!!!
Old June 23, 2008, 04:42 AM   #7
rem870hunter

if you don't already have a shorter barrel for the 12 ga. get one ,pattern it with buckshot. you should be fine then. if not buy an 870. get an older wingmaster,preferably a 3" magnum model,and an 18" bead or 20" rifle sighted barrel for it.
Old June 23, 2008, 10:42 AM   #8
T-Ray

Yes. The more the merrier

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old June 23, 2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Joat

What does need have to do with it?

If you are justifying a want, go for it and get a tacticool HD blaster. You don't need our permission, and it's not likely that anyone here will actually advise moderation when it comes to buying your wants.

Either of the two you already have will meet the requirements of home defense with a simple barrel swap for somewhere between $100-$200 retail. But if you go that way (or admit it to yourself) you loose the argument (or at least the moral high ground) of getting another SG.

Joat

Last edited by Joat; June 23, 2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 23, 2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
Once you get past there, let us know, and we'll help you come up with a reason to need a Browning A5
That's silly! You don't need a reason to get a Browning A5!!!
Old June 23, 2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Tatsumi67

Quote:
Either of the two you already have will meet the requirements of home defense with a simple barrel swap for somewhere between $100-$200 retail. But if you go that way (or admit it to yourself) you loose the argument (or at least the moral high ground) of getting another SG.

These that I have are older Winchester models, and Winchester isnt supporting any of their old guns anymore, they moved to making ammo in the late 80's and only make a handful of shotguns.

I actually looked into getting replacement barrels for slugs and such years ago, and because of the rareity and things it would cost too much to warrant my spending on it and getting one smithed for me would cost WAY too much aside.

The question really is, buy an SKS or an HD shotgun
Old June 23, 2008, 02:26 PM   #12
skeeter1

Quote:
"If you are justifying a want, go for it and get a tacticool HD blaster. You don't need our permission, and it's not likely that anyone here will actually advise moderation when it comes to buying your wants."
I've got a couple of double-barrel 12-gauge shotguns, but that's just me. The little one has 26" barrels, but with the tiny receiver, that's just fine. If I had a pump or semi-auto, I think a 20" barrel might be better.

I've bought many firearms over the years. Some I've kept, some I've sold, but I always left the gunshop with a happy smile on my face, and I don't think I ever lost a dime on any of them.

If you want it, like the Nike ads say, "Just do it!"

Kindest regards,

Skeeter
Old June 24, 2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Joat

I understand that Winchester does not support their older guns with add-on parts, but why limit yourself to factory? There are several aftermarket vendors, Hastings, Mossberg, etc that do make them as well as buying an used barrel from another source e.g. http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/winchesterbarrels.htm

I was simply relating the difference between a need and a want. If you want another shotgun and have to justify it someway, you can by using the prices or availability of barrels to argue either side of the argument. (I know, I have done so on numerous occasions.) If you need a dedicated HD shotgun for whatever reason, go for it and don't look back.

YMMV
Joat
Old June 27, 2008, 07:22 PM   #14
Tatsumi67

Thanks for the barrel info.
Old June 28, 2008, 05:08 AM   #15
WacosSon

yes
Old June 28, 2008, 05:24 AM   #16
azsixshooter

How about just getting something like this, then you get a rifle shotgun combo:
http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old June 28, 2008, 08:28 PM   #17
nutty ned

NO but you want it, hey.
Old June 28, 2008, 08:32 PM   #18
rantingredneck

If you're looking to me to talk you out of another shotgun you're barking up the wrong tree ..
Old June 28, 2008, 09:02 PM   #19
wingshooter1

yes u always need another gun,, hell i got 2 gunsafes full and yet i feel the need for a 28ga because my 20ga are way to powerfiull for pheasants LOL
Old June 28, 2008, 09:29 PM   #20
Rustynuts

Yes, one like this!

Old June 29, 2008, 12:16 AM   #21
olddrum1

Two guns

The day I could afford two shotguns I never asked that question again.
Old June 29, 2008, 01:55 AM   #22
guntotinguy

Quote:
Do I need another shotgun?
Absolutely...its that 'just in case' factor.