The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 15, 2018, 01:40 PM   #1
COSteve

Crescent Buttplate and Arthritic Shoulder = Pain: But There is a Solution

So, as many of you know, I've posted about my Rossi 357mag and Uberti 45 Colt leverguns. I have a carbine and rifle in both calibers and the rifles have crescent buttplates that don't fit my shoulder well to begin with. However, the last 6-9 months I've noticed the start of some arthritis symptoms in my shoulder; a bit of burning low level pain at times.

Anyway, last time I went out with my 357mag rifle, about 1 month ago, my shoulder hurt like heck to fire my full power loads. I tried my Mini-14 and it felt fine so it was the shape of the crescent buttplate that was causing the issue. Later, I got home and had a nice bruise from shooting. That really concerned me as my Rossis are my favorite plinkers and losing them would be a blow.

I looked on line and at Cabella's for a slip on recoil pad for my shoulder and found one from Caldwell, their 'Field Shield at $22 so I ordered it on Amazon. Two days later it was here.

Anyway, I took it out to the range yesterday afternoon to try it with my Rossi rifle and it's dreaded crescent buttplate. Even though my shoulder was hurting a bit before I started out to the range, with the shield on I could shoot my Rossi with no pain at all. Yes, it takes a bit of getting use to the 3/8" or so thick pad on your shoulder and how the buttstock engages it but I quickly found a way to use it effectively and it's a none issue.

Not shown is a strap that goes around your chest from the back piece to the right side of the pad. It Velcros on so it fast and the shield is reversible for lefties too; just turn it inside out. Best of all, it slips right off easily and I was still able to shoot my Mini without it with ease. Arthritis now not a problem and I'm pain free again.
Old August 16, 2018, 06:17 AM   #2
Mobuck

I've had to use one of those for nearly 20 years when shooting anything with more recoil than a 243 or 25-06. The result of years of being pounded by .30 target rifles and 12 ga trap guns plus torn rotator cuff.
They make 3 levels of protection. The "magnum" is uncomfortable but it certainly takes the pain out of bench firing 7mm and 300 magnum hunting rifles.
Old August 16, 2018, 07:10 AM   #3
stagpanther

Worked for Shorty

Attached Images
File Type: jpg shorty.jpg (140.0 KB, 260 views)
Old August 24, 2018, 01:08 PM   #4
shickelgruber

!Mauser recoil

I own two Mauser rifles,one in 8MM,one in 30-o6 May our Lord have mercy on the German soldiers that had to shoulder fire these rifles ! My M1 Garand is a pleasure to fire,compared to these beasts!
Old August 25, 2018, 12:00 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Not being a historical purist (about some things, anyway..) I don't own and won't own a rifle with the "dreaded" crescent butt.

The crescent butt comes down to us through history, originating in the time when all firearms were single shot muzzle loading flintlocks, and its purpose was for hand to hand fighting. Not shooting. Not a HUGE disadvantage when firing only a single shot, the points on the stock added (or were perceived to add) to its effectiveness, when used as a club.

The shape of the Iroquois war club is nearly identical to the shape of a flintlock rifle butt. And note where you see the crescent butt on flintlocks, its done on rifles (primarily). Seldom seen on shotguns (fowling pieces) which might have to be shouldered rapidly, and isn't considered a "fighting arm". Seldom seen on muskets, either. I think because muskets, unlike period rifles could and did mount bayonets.

By the time you get up to cartridge firing lever action repeaters in the old west, the crescent butt is still common, because it's "traditional" for rifles, but the "shotgun butt" is better suited for shooting.
Old September 4, 2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Archie

I'm getting more and more recoil sensitive. Perhaps it's arthritis coming on, perhaps it's age. Maybe it is just my sensitive nature. But I wear that same recoil pad when shooting some of my rifles. Especially off the bench.

I've always understood the crescent - also known as 'rifle' butt plates were to surely secure the rifle stock in place for deliberate slow fire. Where the flat or shotgun buttstock was to promote fast mounting and shouldering.

In any event, all long guns have gone to the flat buttstock since the First World War.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/