The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 30, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1
papershotshells

LLC ownership of NFA items

Gentlemen,

I've been doing a lot of reading online today (my brain hurts now) and I think I have my ducks in a row, but I wanted to post a simple question here to verify what I THINK I know.

I have an LLC (limited liability company for those who don't know) for a small, gun related business (but NOT an FFL holder of any sort).

Can my LLC purchase NFA items the same way that an NFA trust can? Meaning, without CLEO sign-off because that is impossible to get where I live (NFA items are legal under state and local law, the Chief of Police simply will not sign the forms).

Based on my online research, I believe the answer to be "YES", but I just want to double check. I'd REALLY like to hear personal experiences from those that have an LLC and have purchased NFA items, but all input is welcome.

Thanks

Papershotshells
Old January 31, 2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

In short, yes. The registration process is the same.

As an entity, an LLC has different responsibilities. One advantage is the ability to sell or transfer the LLC, with the NFA items attached, without re-registering.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Skans

The biggest disadvantage of an LLC (or corp) is that you need to pay to keep it active, and REMEMBER to keep it registered, for as long as your LLC has the gun. If the LLC is administratively dissolved because you forget to pay the fee or file the annual report (or whatever your state requires), then an illegal transfer took place from the defunct LLC to you individually.
Old January 31, 2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
The biggest disadvantage of an LLC (or corp) is that you need to pay to keep it active, and REMEMBER to keep it registered, for as long as your LLC has the gun. If the LLC is administratively dissolved because you forget to pay the fee or file the annual report (or whatever your state requires), then an illegal transfer took place from the defunct LLC to you individually.
This is generally true, although some states do not require annual filings or fees for an LLC (such as Ohio). If there is another related business reason to keep the LLC up to date and in order, that should reduce the risk of forgetting the maintain the LLC entity.
Old January 31, 2014, 02:24 PM   #5
papershotshells

Gentleman,

Thanks for the replies. I think i will pursue some NFA items under my LLC. It seems like a good option for me, and there's no danger of the LLC being dissolved, etc.

My next question, if I may;

Can someone point me to some sort of guide to building a short barrel shotgununder my LLC?

I've read some about it online, but i want to make absolutely sure i get my stuff correct.

Which form do i use for making it myself? ETC

I know about the engraving requirement, so i assume i engraved the name of the LLC on it?

Thanks for the help.

Papershotshells
Old January 31, 2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Sharkbite

To do a SBR/SBS you need to fill out a form 1 using your LLC as the maker. Thats what gets engraved on the gun

If you use E-forms just upload a copy of your LLC paperwork, fill in the blanks, put you Credit card info in and submit.

Ive heard E forms are running just over 3 months for approval. As soon as you get your approval/tax stamp , get out the hacksaw and shorten that barrel
Old February 1, 2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Rob62

Lots of great info at the below link in general about making an NFA weapon.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/shortb...shotguns-sbss/

Note there is a size and type of font requirement that has to be used for your engraved info. (Sans Serif style font, 1/16" tall, and .003" deep IIRC - but verify this)

Regards,

Rob
Old February 3, 2014, 12:05 AM   #8
PDXsparky

Quote:
Note there is a size and type of font requirement that has to be used for your engraved info. (Sans Serif style font, 1/16" tall, and .003" deep IIRC - but verify this)
I think the size requirement is 1/8" for the serial number, which is why most people use the factory serial number.