The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
welshgal2001

at what age can someone shoot a shotgun?

Ok a double Question for you all
1, my 11 year old Daughter loves shooting my 12 Gauge shotgun what type of shotgun would you buy her

2, at what age can my Daughter shoot clays on a comp level,?

3, "iknow this on but just checking" At what age can I transfer her shotgun to her?
Old July 8, 2013, 01:15 PM   #2
BigJimP

Upper body strength is the key.....some kids are ok at 11 ....some aren't until 18 or even older....

They have to be strong enough - to balance their stance properly without leaning back at the waist ( so they need upper body strength to hold and swing the gun both left and right when there are 2 crossing targets in the air ....and execute 2, smooth shots ....like on skeet station 4 as an example.)

Weight of the gun is another factor ...and balance ...and recoil management. If you have a fixed breech gun ( pump, SXS, or O/U ) you're going to get a lot more recoil than with a gas operated semi-auto...and there are 12ga's at 6 lbs ....clear up to 10 lbs....

so there isn't a generic answer..../ but I would probably look at a gas operated semi-auto like a Browning silver Hunter model as a good entry level gun.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=350

they make it in both a 12ga and 20ga....and 26", 28" or 30" barrel...and I'
d probably look at the 26" or maybe the 28" with a young shooter...

When can she compete...whenever you pay the fees ..../ compete is a relative term vs just having fun. The first gun I used for my kids and grandkids was often the 28ga... but you have to reduce the recoil...and keep it within limits that suit their strength and body style...

transfer the gun to her name ...check the laws in your state...
Old July 8, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

There is a boy who shoots a heavy K-80 at my sporting club - he is Master Class (the top) and is 14 or 15. There is a girl who shoots nationally who is also master class and IIRC, she is also 14-15. They both started about 8 years old
You might also read up on Kim Rhode who won Olympic Gold at 16 in Atlanta and has been winning Olympic medals ever since.

Hard to beat a good gas gun for starters, but if your budget is large, a QUALITY O/U with a stock custom fit will work as well
Old July 8, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Pahoo

You will know when it's too much !!

The minimum age we teach, is 11yrs. old and they comfortably shoot 20GA as well as .50cal M/L with 40grn's of 777. Just a nice bark and not much of a bite. They all claim that it wasn't all that bad. But they are not shooting much. ....

Be Conservative and;
Be Safe !!!