The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 10, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Strutter769

New Guy

Hey there! Within the past month, I moved to a really remote area in northern WI, and before I left, my uncle gave me a little .25 pistol (apparently to protect me from beavers). I've always been a bit intimidated by guns, growing up with a step-dad who served in Viet Nam who "saw enough of them over there."

Well, after a few rounds of this little .25, I'm hooked. Now, my birth dad has paid for some actual home protection, and next week I'll be picking up the EAA Windicator .357. I've done a ton of research and found mixed, but overall good reviews, and seems to be a good choice for self defense for a novice. So, since my wife is very concerned about her aim, especially under threat of an intruder. So, to help her feel more at ease (in addition to lots of practice) I'd like to have a laser grip or laser sight. I cannot seem to find ANY at all. I've also been told the .357's concussion is too much for any laser to handle, so they don't make lasers for them. Of course, I've also been told they ARE available. Are they? If so, might I ask that someone post a link for me?

Thanks in advance!

Roy
Old April 11, 2013, 03:28 AM   #2
mxsailor803

Recoil is not the issue with lasers. It depends on the weapons popularity and weather or not a company wants to invest in developing a laser for a particular platform. If it was a S&W, wouldn't be a issue finding a laser. As for a EAA, there might be something out there that fits but i'm not sure enough to say yay or nay.
Old April 11, 2013, 05:16 AM   #3
10-96

If you can find some in your area (or anywhere)- I'd like to suggest that maybe you start out with .38 Special cartridges and get yourself and your missus accustomed to the use of sights. You'll find there will be a world of difference (most likely) between whatever the .25 was and the EAA. The .38 will be easy to handle and shoot and as far as I can recall, the EAA has pretty good sights. It's pretty cool that you're being gifted a firearm. Anyway, give it a chance and see how the skills come around until the time comes you locate a laser.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

Roy, welcome to TFL.

Even more than a laser sight, by far the most useful thing for novice shooters is -- training. You and your wife will be much more confident, and better able to handle anything that might arise, with some good instruction. A good place to start would be to find someone offering the NRA Basic Pistol course in your area. Another would be the Civilian Firearms courses offered at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, in Green Bay. (I know you said you're in a remote area, but WI isn't that big... )

Once you both have some training under your belts, you'll have a much better idea of what accessories will really be useful.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
bikerbill

You've already been given two pieces of excellent advice ... get professional training, and start out shooting .38 Specials to see how you and your wife deal with recoil ... .357s do kick a tad ..

So I guess I'll just say welcome ... I've learned more here about shooting and firearms than I have anywhere else ... there are tons of folks here who can answer just about any question you have ... as for me, "always a ready answer -- wrong, but ready" ...

have fun and easy on the beavers, they have to be on somebody's "protected" list ...
Old April 11, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
AFK

Great advice above. I will add if she is at all intimidated by guns, don't put a .357 in her hand right away. IMO that's a sure fire way to turn her off to the sport.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
357 Python

As stated earlier 38 Special +P may be the ammo you are looking for. As for lasers, forget what you hear in the gunshop or on the street, call the manufacturers and ask them. Nobody knows their products better than the makers. You can start with Crimson Trace. CT is a highly recommended and respected company that specializes in lasers.