The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 23, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Josh Smith

Today's Mosin Shooting

Hi All,

I did a few more tweaks to my favorite Mosin and took it out to verify the sights.

Turns out it was shooting a little high, so I settled down to get it about 1/2" high at 50 or 60 yards. This will put me on at 100 yards.

After trying to figure out why I was shooting high no matter what I did, it occurred to me that I'd been predominately shooting at humanoid targets most of my life, and that I was, in my attempt to shoot COM, actually shooting the bottom of a color transition on the target. I made a new target and ended up with this:

I need to get out and see where it's at at 100 yards, now. I have a feeling I'll have to lower the front sight, but at this time of year long shots on anything are rare, so I'm not overly concerned. Coyote season doesn't start for a bit, and I might try a scout 'scope from Brass Stacker for that this year.

I've read that the average engagement distance in WWII was 50 yards, anyway, and that was part of the reason the assault rifles came to be.

I'm out of match bullets for loading and will have to get more before I go about doing much more testing.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the terminal effect(s) is of a Hornady BTHP match bullet? I know it's not designed to expand, but I figure it will either shatter or pencil on through.

Thanks!

Old June 23, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
troopcom

Don't know about the Hornady BTHP, but WOW! Great shooting! Your mosin must have a like new bore on it.
I also bought a brass stacker, just need to take the time to put it on my mosin.
Old June 23, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Josh Smith

Hello,

I still need to settle down and see what it does with a 'scope! I did a quick installation and firing test for them, here:

Click the pic to open in this window, or middle click to open in new tab or window.

It's a good setup that I look forward to experimenting with more.

I grew up with 'scopes, though, and am having fun with the iron sights.

Regards,

Josh