The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Yung.gunr

S&W 22A Grips

I recently bought a 22A and have put only about 10 rounds through it, but already I think I'm gonna love it.
Anyway, my wife was saying how heavy it is, but I got her to try shooting it. She loved how little recoil there is. But.... The grips are just too fat for her to get her little hands around comfortably...
I took the grips off and it looks like there is quite a bit of dead space in the grips.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good thinner aftermarket grips for this gun?

I think if I can make it more comfortable for her I can use it to help her work her way up to a centerfire pistol for carry.

I looked at the S&W site and it looks like the only other grips thy sell are the wood ones that are even thicker then the plastic ones that came on my gun.

So does anyone know of any thinner grips or better yet have personal experience with any..??
Old February 15, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

It seems the 22A just has a large grip. I have not come across any slimmed down grips for one. I like the large wood grips on mine. You might consider getting her another pistol. The Beretta Neos has a small grip. The 4.5" version seems to balance better then the longer barreled ones. I know my wife likes shooting hers. She also likes shooting the Buck Mark Camper as well. The recoil in all of these pistols are very light and easy to shoot. The Neos is easier to field strip to clean and load the magazines then the others are in my opinion. The 22A is a close second.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Stringfellow

I saw a picture of the pistol with different grips on it once. I don't remember where, but I suspect it was one of the S&W forums. I can't speak for the feel of it, but it completely changed the look of the pistol--for the better.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!