The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
grecomfs

Vang 870 or Wilson Standard with VCS?

Am about to spring for either Vang's own 870 or Wilson Combat Standard 870 with VCS option. I realize that both are pricier and more sophisticated than is probably necessary in a tactical SG but anything to recommend one over the other? Thanks in advance.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:46 PM   #2
NYCShooter

IMO, Federal FliteControl and Hornady TAP ammo have made Vang Comp barrels obsolete and I would not spend the money on one. These shells are more accurate through a plain barrel than any other shells through a Vang Comp barrel.

IMO, Wilson does a really nice job on their 870's. You might also want to take a look at AI&P, as I think J.D. McGuire builds great tactical/HD guns. http://www.aiptactical.com/
Old January 6, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome,grecomfs.

For a first shotgun, a simple unaltered 870 and a few cases of ammo are a better choice.

Shoot up the ammo. About the time the pile of empty hulls reaches your shins, you'll have a better idea of what you and your shotgun may need, if anything other than mo' ammo.

Hans' gnomes and the Wilson folks do good work. But, they add maybe 10% at best while you NEED to get that other 90% on your own.

Technology, even good technology, is rarely an adequate substitute for expertise......
Old January 7, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

One more vote for sticking with a plain CYL or ImpCyl barrel on an 870P and buying a variety of buckshot loads. You can pretty well choose your pattern (large, medium or small) by choosing your load these days, and a CYL bore barrel is a lot more versatile for everything else IME.

Uncle Hans & Co. do excellent work, don't get me wrong, but improvements in ammo have pretty well overtaken internal barrel modifications including VCS and choke tube installation. And this is someone talking who has spent several hundred dollars in 870 barrel mods (forcing cones lengthened, choke tube installations etc) over the past couple of decades to shoot buckshot better. FliteControl wads now make all of that a wasted investment, but it worked for the years before FliteControl was available.

Thing is, you can change your mind at any time, no matter what you start with, and add another separate barrel with whatever configuration you want to your existing gun. I personally wouldn't spend the money on a Wilson anything as far as a full shotgun offering goes, but I do have a few of their accessories here and there. Buy a good 870P, new or used, as your base gun and work from there as you learn what works best for you.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
oldguy870

A shotgun is a short range weapon. It is actually better not to have the tightest possible patterns at the ranges you will typically use it. Consider it a 0-25 yardish gun. If you need more distance than that, it is better to chose a rifle.