The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 10, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1
ZVP

Light BP loads .36 Colt?

I was messing around with the "Factory suggested" load limits on my '62 Police Replica. Darned if they werent pertty accurate! In .36 caliber, 15 gr isn't that much of a slouch it didn't produce any recoil, sounded "solid" and shot tight.
I know these are lawyer promoted limits and I usually load at 22 gr and get good preformance.
Not trying to magnumize the little .36 but do you guys load any heavier than .22 gr?
How often do ya'll light load (around say the 15 gr olad)?
I'm just trying to get a profile of the average loads used in the .36 Colt frame...

ZVP
Old August 10, 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, ZVP..Well..your kind of limited by chamber caopacity..can only stuff so much in & still get the ball flush. I have found the lighter loads to be more accurate & pleasant to shoot. Any you mention..".36 Colt frame" It really is a .31 Colt frame on the police.
Old August 10, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Ideal, I believe he's speaking of the Pietta '62 Police six shooter sold by Cabelas & others that is basically an 1861 Navy with a cut down barrel and half fluted cylinder; not the 1862 Pocket Police which is a 5 shooter on the '49 pocket model .31 caliber frame.

ZVP, my normal '51/'61 36 cal load is and always has been 20 gr fffg, wad, .380 rb. A very pleasant, accurate load that manages to take out pistol knockdown targets with ease. If I'm shooting long range, I drop the wad and jack the load up to 25 grains. It'll ring a 75 yard buffalo target regularly.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 11, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
ZVP

Ideal Tool,
Fingers is right the Piettia Police uses a '62 frame and a 6 shot cylinder. It's not exactlly period correct but on the other hand it is a fine weapon! The larger frame is easier to handle and thechambers hold a little more powder.
I have a CVA '51 Police and it's a lot smaller with a 5 shot cylnder. I have found the Piettia to be better for my big hands!
It appears that consistanicy is the most important point in loading. You must measure each load (it's safer than pouring from a flask too!) Your projectile shape and size, powder volume and Cap make and size all work together towards consistancy and accuracy. I think the low volume factory recommendations are lawyer driven but in comparison to Colt's own origonal recommendations are pretty close. Paper and Foil cartrige loads wer likewise lower volume than a 20, 22, or 25 gr load.
This all greatlly reduces the muzzle energy of the little 36! I like the feel and preformance of the higher 22gr load but if I am overcharging, I am not getting the effect of the "origonal" gun and loads. I want to experience the period correct preformance of the revolver. Measuring as I do, I normally throw a 22 gr by volume load.
I wonder what load Hickock used? If anyone knew how to make a .36 sing, it was him!
Intresting answers in this string, thanks guys!!!
ZVP
Old August 11, 2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Hellgate

PyrodexP is pretty compressible. You could fill the chamber and ram a ball on top for a max load. The only reason I don't use Pyro P in my 36s is because I got inconsistant ignition. A lot of paBOOMs instead of just BOOMS due to split second delayed ignition.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 12, 2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
The only reason I don't use Pyro P in my 36s is because I got inconsistant ignition. A lot of paBOOMs instead of just BOOMS due to split second delayed ignition.
I never had that problem.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7
ZVP

I have had that happen 3 times, 2 with Pyrodex, and 1 with Goex BP. It's a very unnerving sound!
I traced it down to improperly seated caps I remember thinking "those caps weren't fully down" but hurried the shot and had the "pa-boom" happen. Totally my falt, a Cease Fire was asked for and I wanted to unload my charges.
Since I did this I have just made up my mind that nothing is going to hurry my shots! I'd rather pull the caps than have a bad shot again.
ZVP
Old August 12, 2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Hellgate

In retrospect I believe the problem was that I was using wads under the ball and once I quit using lube wads and packed the balls down harder onto the powder (Pyro P) the ignition problem cleared up. If I were to do it again I would just use top lube and seat the balls firmly rather than just snug.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 12, 2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Hawg

I use wads but I crunch them down pretty good.
Old August 12, 2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Noz

Yeah, undercompressed black powder in a revolver will give you the bangWhomp.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:28 AM   #11
62coltnavy

Uberti also makes the 62 in navy and police, both are on a 31 cal steel frame and are five shot. I have a navy-sweet little gun. I have shot 15 grain but find that 20 grains and a wad give me very consistent performance.