The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Dre

Browning Citori XS Skeet Assembly Issue

Hi guys,

I just bought a new Citori and have an assembly issue. Here's the issue: triggers were pulled while the gun was separated and now I am not able to connect the barrel back. I tried to lift the center "lug" up but it is not moving...please help. Thanks in advance.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:29 AM   #2
zoomie

Push the top lever to the side while pushing up on the center "lug" under the firing pins.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Dre

Browning Citori XS Skeet Assembly Issue

zoomie, it still doesn't work...
Old December 15, 2009, 12:36 AM   #4
zoomie

Is the lug down or angled more upwards?
Old December 15, 2009, 12:39 AM   #5
Dre

zoomie

the lug is down and not moving...
Old December 15, 2009, 12:51 AM   #6
zoomie

Hold the top lever to the right and put the barrels back on. Holding the lever to the right retracts the "shelf" under the firing pins. Reinstall the forearm. Open the barrels. You'll hear a loud click. Close the barrels and you're done.

Last edited by zoomie; December 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:56 AM   #7
Dre

zoomie = you're my savior

Thanks a lot man!!!
Old December 15, 2009, 12:58 AM   #8
zoomie

Sure thing. Glad I was up to help.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Waterengineer

I am sure BigJim will be along any moment to help on this one.......

.....if not then PM him he will have the answer.
Old December 15, 2009, 10:48 AM   #10
BigJimP

its covered ...
Old December 15, 2009, 11:26 AM   #11
BigJimP

Its something I do all the time ..but I had to think and go get one of my shotguns ....

as you fit the barrels into the receiver / the barrels are pointed at about 7 oclock on a clock face ( if the receiver is in the center of the clock face) - insert the lug on the barrel onto the hinge ( don't force it / if it doesn't go onto the lug and drop into the receiver smoothly - take the barrels out and try it again ) - and the barrels should travel into the receiver. As they bottom out on the shelf - then move the lever to the right - and push the barrels the rest of the way into the receiver.

I use Rig grease on the receiver hinge / the ears along the sides and front of receiver that holds the barrels and the face where the forend locks into the receiver and the barrels - and on the barrel lug under the barrels ( and I apply it liberally ).

The point is to get a "feel" for the barrels dropping right onto the hinge / and rotating into the receiver - and then lock them in as you move the lever to the right. I have barrels in my left hand / receiver in my right hand ( it'll soon be 2nd nature, like riding a bike ...) and hard to describe without a shotgun in your hand apparently ...

Last edited by BigJimP; December 15, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old December 15, 2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Couzin

It's permanently broken -- I'll give you a $100.00 for it...
Old December 15, 2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Dre

Thanks BigJim!!!! before I got my XS Skeet I've read a lot of your recommendations here on the forum (I love that parallel stock, the gun fits me like a glove). I just started shooting shotgun (trap,skeet) about 3 times: 1 time with a rental gun (it wasn't fun (gun didn't fit me well)) and two times with my own "baby". I went trap shooting the next day after I picked it up and I got 21 out of 25 with skeet chockes - I was so excited and I fell in love with Browning even more...a few days later I went skeet shooting on the windy day and my scores were awful. I'm going shooting this Thursday (trap) with mod and full chockes, I want to get better at trap and then move to skeet/sporting...
Old December 16, 2009, 02:13 PM   #14
BigJimP

Glad to hear you like the gun Dre ....

Only my 2 cents but :
for chokes, for Trap, I stay with Mod from 16 - the 20 yard line for singles. Even when I shoot Continental Trap(faster birds, wider and higher angles, you can load and fire 2 shells) - I go with one barrel as MOD, and one barrel as Imp MOD. And for both, I stay with 1 oz shells, at about 1225 fps, in 8's . I know a lot of Trap shooters reach for a Full choke / but until you get back to the 25 - 27 yard line, I think its more choke than you need for Trap singles.

I also don't think you really need 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's for shooting Trap either.....and one of my buddies only shoots 7/8 oz of 8's in his Trap loads.

The Citori XS Skeet models / in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 are my primary guns for sporting clays, Skeet and bird hunting. I like that gun a lot in 30" barrels - and I have all 4 of my guns weighted to about 8 1/2 lbs. You won't find a 28ga or .410 in that model in Browning's catalog / but there are a number of them out there - where dealers made special orders of them ( they are built on the 20ga receivers). I have shot my XS-Skeet models for Trap / but for Trap I really like the Citori XT model with 32" barrels and around 10 lbs - the extra weight helps on the follow thru and since Trap has less left to right barrel movement, the extra length and weight is a plus on Trap ( where the XT is a little too clumsy for Skeet or Sporting clays, in my opinion ). But I think the Citori XS Skeet is one of the most versatile guns that Browning makes / and a great gun for the money these days.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Dre

thanks bigjim

can't wait to go to the club...

Tags
browning , citori , shotgun , skeet , trap