The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 10, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
movze

savage 99 iron sight

Hello, this is my first post, I really like your forums. My question, my gun is shooting 5 inches right and Iv'e tried to tap the front sight to the right some, but it won't budge. Does anyone have any helpful hints ? ( Also my gun is a savage 300 model 99, made in 1950) Thanks
Old December 10, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Welcome

Try a little cleaner or lube, try to free up the part. If that won't work, try to adjust the rear sight. Also make sure you have the proper tools, good brass punch, good brass hammer, etc.

Welcome
Old December 10, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

Savage

Sir;
Yes, be sure your barrel is tightly supported in a good heavy vise and use a heavy hammer with a solid brass punch and strike lightly!
Your barrel might need re-crowned. Are your front sight and rear sights centered? If so it could be barrel crown. I assume you're using factory ammo.
5" is alot to be off if your sights are centered! Savage is a fine rifle and you might have a competent gunsmith (older man) give it a look.
Harry B.