The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
ledavatar

.44 Russian

So I dug up a bunch of .44 Russian brass from the range recycle bin. Does anyone know anything about them? I'm curious as to whether if I can load and shoot these in my .44 Magnum. It seems to be just a shorter .44 Special.
Old November 26, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Edward429451

Thats exactly what they are. You can shoot them in your 44 mag. You'll get even more carbon build up in the cylinder than with 44 specials, making it hard to chamber the longer rounds.
Old November 26, 2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Carbon and gas cutting or lead that splatters into the chambers can be an issue just because the extra jump the base of the bullet has to make before the dimensions tighten back down.

You might see if you can find a Cowboy Action Shooter who has a replica chambered for these things and wants to trade them for some .44 Mag cases? Even though it chews up a little extra powder, I quit building target loads for my .357 and .44 Mags in the Special cases a long time ago, just to avoid the cleaning nuisance. It was tough being forced to go out and buy a .38 Special and a .44 Special to avoid the environmental calamaty of tossing all the 'Special cases I'd salvaged, but I managed it somehow.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 26, 2006, 06:31 PM   #4
gandog56

I've never had a problem with my Taurus 66 in chambering magnum cases after shooting 3-4 boxes of 38 special wadcutters. I wonder why everybody thinks it's a problem. Come to think of it, I never had a problem shooting 44 mags out of my Ruger SBH after boxes of 44 specials.
Old November 26, 2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Dave R

Sounds like an impending case of "I found some brass, now I need to buy a new gun to shoot it..."
Old November 26, 2006, 11:04 PM   #6
ledavatar

Quote:
Sounds like an impending case of "I found some brass, now I need to buy a new gun to shoot it..."
Ha, I wish. It takes 3 months of bureaucracy in NYC for each additional handgun to be "approved for purchase." I gotta say a .44 Russian is way way down the list.