The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 19, 2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Texas9000s

1864 Springfield?

Any info on this would be very helpful. My grandfather passed away about a year ago, and one of the guns in his collection is what apears to be a flintlock type muzzle loader. It has the engraving "U.S. Springfield" in front of the lock, and the year 1864 behind it on the right side of the gun. It has a single front ball type sight with no rear sight.

I'm kinda curious as to exactly what this might be. I remeber vaguely as a child him refering to it as the rifle his grandfather carried in the civil war. Any ideas?
Old March 19, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Several things here do not quite match.
Flintlocks were 20 years obsolete by 1864, the Army had been issuing caplocks since 1842.
A C.W. era rifle, rifle musket, or rifled musket (not the same thing) would have had a rear sight. Might have been lost off but I would expect the location to still be visible as a flat or dovetail.

Pictures would be a big help to identify.
Old March 19, 2006, 11:29 PM   #3
Texas9000s

Well, just shows that I don't know a heck of alot about old guns! I've been looking at pictures of other 1864 springfields, and this looks like one, just no rear sight. There does appear to be some sort of serial number on the top of the barrel at the rearmost part. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help. I'll install the camera software tomorrow and try to upload a couple of pictures.