The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 2015, 07:32 PM   #1
imchase

Flashlights

So I'm wanting to attach a Flashlight to my diamondhead forearm on my AR-15... I need something that is VERY bright out to a good range. I don't really care what kind of batteries as long as it lasts for more than a couple hours. I've heard a lot about Surefire flashlights, but wanted other opinions too. Also, are the pressure sensor activation systems really necessary? Anything $120 and under is what I'm looking at... Thanks guys
Old May 25, 2015, 07:47 PM   #2
bedlamite

You cant get around physics:

Very bright = power consumption = either short life or lots-o-battery

I use an Ultrafire WF-501B with a single mode XML-T6 LED and an 18650 battery. It's cheap but reliable, and I have a couple extra batteries.
Old May 25, 2015, 08:16 PM   #3
ttarp

I have a surefire 628 handguard on my MP5 clone, I replaced the surefire bulb with a Malkoff M61L. Haven't used it enough to speak for long term battery life, but they claim 5 hours. They also have a lower output bulb with 10 hour life.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

Anyway, my vote is a surefire of some sort and maybe a malkoff bulb if you're worried about battery life.
Old May 25, 2015, 09:29 PM   #4
marine6680

I like streamlight. I have one of there last gen polytac lights on my shotgun.

You want a single mode, no strobe or low power mode. Unless the default mode is the brightest and you need a special way to use them. Streamlight requires you to push and hold the button to change modes.

I suggest one around the 150 lumen range for indoor use. Much brighter and you will blind yourself with reflected light off the walls. If you don't believe me, shut yourself into an interior room, lights off and sit in darkness for 30 minutes. Long enough to fully acclimate to the dark... No laptops or phone screens... Then turn on a 200 lumen or more light and point it at the wall. It will hurt... And that is what will happen when you wake up to a bump in the night.

I also prefer a tail cap button type light... Mine is mounted on the side and forward of the front hand guard. Easy to activate with my support hand thumb... But a pressure switch will work too, it's just more crap to deal with on the gun.

Remember, self defense is close range, you don't need a been that reaches 100+ yards. You need a beam that has a bright center but enough width to the beam to allow good situational awareness. If you need to be looking out in a large yard, use a second light.

A beam that is all over bright with no hot spot will work too, but test that it does not blind yourself as well.

I like my polytac, but the new model adds some complications in the way of extra modes and increased brightness. It is supposed to be programable though, and the brightness may not be too much. And the streamlight method of activating different modes is likely to be there. Best to read the manual online if you consider it. The pistol mounted lights seem good too, but I never really looked at their dedicated long gun options... If they have any, never cared to look.

The surefire lights all seem to be going for bells and whistles that get in the way on many of there lights... Though the ones designed to mount on a weapon using a rail (the pistol models at least) seem to be simple enough.

Just find a light that is easy to use and works for the needed task. I gave some cautions to look out for, so keep that in mind.

Last edited by marine6680; May 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
rickyrick

I have a surefire but doesn't have clickie switch

So I have it set to where a little pressure on the sling swivel will turn it on
Old May 25, 2015, 11:28 PM   #6
leadcounsel

I am a low-end flashtlight user and have no need for 100' beams. So I can't comment.

My flashlights are all extremely useful bright lights under 30' and will easily illuminate the rooms of the house.

I've mainly got Coast lights, and a Surefire weapon mounted light. They all work the same, but the Surefire takes special lithium batteries which I hate.

My contribution is to pay attention to the type of batteries.

I find that I'm most satisfied with the widely available and low cost and good performance of standard AA batteries. They are cheap and work very well and we all have them in our house for a host of things. AA batteries cost about .25 cents each in bulk.

Conversely, I have some lights that require very unique, rare, and expensive lithiums. The 123 or the CR... types. These buggers must be bought in bulk. Individually or in small packs they're about $5-10 each! In bulk they still end up being about $1-2 each online. I have also never noticed any improvements in lifespan or brightness or resistance to dying in cold weather. In short, they are an expensive gimmick that doesn't work as advertised and I would avoid getting lights that require these batteries.

Edited: I've got three shotguns in my gun cabinet with mounted lights. 1 is a surefire with lithium 123a batteries and the other 2 have Coast handheld flashlights that use AA batteries. They all provide the same amount of light and get the same use - occasional function check. Yet the Coasts have sat for at least 1-2 years never needing the batteries replaced whereas I've had to replace those expensive lithiums once in the same period. I've had one prior flashlight that required lithiums and it drained those batteries fast while sitting dormant. I also have a XML handgun flashlight that gets function checked occasionally. Dead lithiums. Not impressed with lithiums - they're an expensive gimmick.

It may be an inexpensive overall purchase, but you can stretch your money (and training dollars for ammo, mags, etc) much further with a $20-30 Coast LED flashlight and AA batteries versus a $100 Surefire that takes $3 lithiums and offers no better performance).

Last edited by leadcounsel; May 26, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:01 AM   #7
marine6680

I find those lithium 123 cells in bulk pack of 10, on Amazon for $20... Or less. Not a lot of money for something you change out so rarely. Life you rarely use the light, then once a year just to be safe.

There are rechargeable versions as well... Though they do not last as long, about half the run time. They are lithium ion type, so you need a compatible charger. Nitecore makes a great one for under $20. Get good cells if you go this route, as lithium ion batteries need to have over discharge protection to prevent damage to the battery and possibly a fire. Cheap batteries do not have this built into them. Nitecore makes batteries as well, if memory serves, they have the discharge protection.

Last edited by marine6680; May 26, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:06 AM   #8
ranger56528

I have a Orion H40-W on my wife's AR 15, it's 500 lum for about 60 bucks and works well indoor and outdoor.
I also have 2 of the Streamlight TLR 1 HL 630 Lums light, 1 for my LR-308 and 1 on my 17S,for 127 bucks you cant go wrong.

All 3 of these lights came with both options as to pressure pad or thumb switch.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:18 AM   #9
marine6680

I would definitely check for the blinding issue with a light that bright...
Old May 26, 2015, 07:26 AM   #10
Mobuck

We bought 1/2 dozen very good flashlights from Menards(3 for $18) for about the same cost as ONE of the name brands. VERY bright and seem to be substantial enough for rough work. These have been dropped in the mud, thrown on pickup dashes, clamped onto handguards and are still going. I gave one to a relative who used it all spring to check cows-amazing light projecting capabilities. The CREE bulbs are superior to everything I've tried.
Be sure to check battery life expectations. Some lights I've seen have very short run times-like 15-30 minutes.
Old May 26, 2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Panfisher

I have the most basic model of Streamlight there is I think its TR-1 or something like that, it has 2 modes on and off. It is mounted on my R-15 so that my left thumb finds it easily. It is bright enough that I could shoot out to 100 yards but don't know why I would want to, 30 - 50 yards is perfect.
Old May 26, 2015, 07:49 AM   #12
rickyrick

I'm all about budget, but I discovered that you can easily spend more on cheap lights. Than one good stream light or surefire.

I'm the captain of using cheap products... I am in no-way anyone's fan boy.

I have found very few weapon lights that will hold up to sustained recoil.

I'm a flashlight junkie... I have most brands hanging about the house.
Old May 26, 2015, 07:54 AM   #13
G.barnes

I have a streamlight strion. It's rechargeable, and has a lithium battery. I have one I use at work on a daily basis. It needs charged every two to three weeks. It's 250 lumens on high and has 3 settings. I haven't found another light that is that bright with that much battery life. The battery last longer than the specs say. Fits perfectly in a 1" light mount.
Old May 26, 2015, 09:16 AM   #14
SVTCobra306

I've used Streamlight and Surefire, both with good success. Streamlight does a very good job of using LED technology for a good balance of brightness and distance with good battery life. I am very happy with their products I am using. Surefire does a great job of building lights that will take any abuse you can throw at them (or throw them at..). I have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon with an LED lens that is basically broken in half but still works fine.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old May 26, 2015, 11:54 AM   #15
rem1858

I use an Inforce on my M4 (INF-WML-B-W-M-H).
Lightweight, 200 lumen, momentary on switch only and uses 123A battery.
Can be had for about $120.
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old May 26, 2015, 01:58 PM   #16
9x19

My weapons are not subjected to extreme uses, as I'm too old to enjoy crawling through the mud, so I have a very basic setup...

A Surefire G3 Nitrolon light in a 1" scope ring, mounted just in front of the forward vertical grip. I can hit the momentary tail cap switch with the back of my index finger.

S&W M&P 15-22

Lone Wolf G9

S&W M&P 15 Sport
Old May 26, 2015, 09:55 PM   #17
skizzums

like the 2nd poster, I have a few ultra-fire's from dx.com. they are insane bright and go for a hundred yards. I really think anyone should at least give them a try for the price. mine has been attached to my AR for going on three years, still works like day one and have never changed the batteries, but I rarely ever use it. the downside is when zoomed in 100%, you can see the shape of the bulb which looks like the moon aliens on aqua teen
Old May 26, 2015, 10:39 PM   #18
Regular Joe

Sheesh! You want long range? There's really only ONE answer. I have the Streamlight TLR-1 HP. That's the old one that only lights well out to 200 yards or so. At close range, the beam is tight enough to use as a kind of laser with my free float hand guard. At 50 yards, the light indicates a 10" or so aim point at the brightest area. I haven't tried it yet with either of my Magpul hand guards.
They've released a new model, that is 600 or 750 lumen and good to 500 yards. Battery life with that one is something like 3 hours, but in that time, I'm sure you can find time to change batteries!
Old May 27, 2015, 07:08 AM   #19
marine6680

Skiz... I'm not sure how many here would get that reference.
Old May 27, 2015, 09:19 AM   #20
skizzums

One more person than I though at least
Old May 28, 2015, 06:21 AM   #21
agtman

Quote:
I use an Inforce on my M4 (INF-WML-B-W-M-H).
Lightweight, 200 lumen, momentary on switch only and uses 123A battery.
Can be had for about $120.
This. I run Inforce "momentary only" WMLs on several of my ARs, from my 16" recce to my 9" SBR.

As was stated, they're nice and compact and not weighty. The WMLs have an integrated attachment piece for the rails. They work especially well w/ Hailey Strategic's Thorntail offset mount.

And unless you're conducting searches out in the fields or boonies for escaped convicts or ISIS-invaders, you don't really need to be hanging a heavy, hi-beam type on your basic home-defense AR, ... and certainly not on a multi-purpose grab-n-go carbine.
Old May 31, 2015, 02:14 AM   #22
Clark

Flashlights are like guns, you will never know everything. The candlepower forum about flashlights is a huge forum.

Same thing with oil. The bob's your oil guy forum is huge

Anyway, my favorite flashlight is Fenix LD12.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 31, 2015, 01:14 PM   #23
Rob228

I am/was an avid Surefire fan, I have quite a few of their handheld lights and two different weapon mounted lights. I was recently introduced to Terralux, you get the same quality as Surefire, more features and pay about 1/3 the price.
Old June 2, 2015, 09:22 AM   #24
F. Guffey

I have spent time in Louisiana, I have never stepped into a boat that did not have a 'Q' beam, and I said "When I get home I am going to get me one of those" and they said "All I need is a 'bull eye". Some of those lights will burn a hole through the fog.

Then there are coon hunters, they strap on something like another version of the 'bull eye' with a battery pack. You would think one would be enough in a crowd but with coon hunters everyone has to have one.

F. Guffey
Old June 2, 2015, 04:49 PM   #25
rickyrick

I took a red lens spot light made by primos and rebuilt it to use an H3 motorcycle halogen headlamp bulb and replaced the battery with a 12v electric fence battery. The light clipped to the scope and I could really light up those pigs and coyotes.

The battery was placed in a back pack with other hunting goodies.

Spent many long nights out in the boonies with that set up.