The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Skans

Colt SP1 Carbine - any collector's value???

I'm thinking of building a modern AR (7075 Billet receivers, upgraded parts, maybe even a match grade trigger - don't know yet).

I have a Colt Sp1 Carbine that I've never even shot - been a safe queen for as long as I can remember. It's the one with the pencil barrel, aluminum sliding stock, no forward assist and the bolt carrier that all of the lightning link folks like. Now, I'm not one for selling guns, but the timing might be right on this one - still trying to make up my mind... If I'm going to go "modern" with an AR build, I'm pondering whether I really need to have an older AR too. (FWIW, I have other .223 rifles and carbines that I do actually shoot)

The question is this: When did Colt last make AR's for the civilian market? What is the perceived collector's value of these older Colt AR's and what are these things actually selling for.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
When did Colt last make AR's for the civilian market? What is the perceived collector's value of these older Colt AR's and what are these things actually selling for.
I can't tell you the value of an SP1, but I can tell you Colt still makes a lot of ARs for the civilian market. The SP6920/LE6920 is probably the most popular. You can buy them at Wal-Mart.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
kraigwy

I have an SP1, had it a long time. If you'll check around you'll find they are worth a lot more then most other ARs including the new Colts.

Just for info, I was at a gun show a couple years ago and was looking for a pencil barrel to put on my SP1, with a 1:7 twist.

I like the light weight of the SP1, about as closest you can get to the M16A1 I used in Vietnam, but I wanted to shoot heavy bullets.

Anyway, back to the gun show, I thought I was gonna get mobbed. A couple venders and customers started giving me holy hell for thinking of screwing up my SP1. Ruining a classic collector piece.

The begged me to just buy another rifle and make one.

Just do a search on SP1 prices............BEFORE the recient price jump they were going for $1800-2200.

BUT your's in "unfired" NIB, If I was going to sell it, I wouldn't talk to anyone for less then $3000.

But again, mine has been shot, (not abused, still in excellent shape) but I wouldn't sell it for $3000.

Nah, I'll just let my kids or grandkids fight over it.

I did decide not to rebarrel it. Not like I don't have other ARs I can shoot that can shoot heavy bullets.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 1, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Skans

Just to clarify, my SP1 Carbine has never been shot by ME, and while it's in excellent condition, it's not new in box. It's been sitting in my safe for about 13-15 years. I would think it had been fired, but I would have to inspect it.

I'll have to dig it out and look at it.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:37 PM   #5
lcpiper

Besides being an old early version of the AR-15, the Sp1 is a version that had the ability to swap out full auto internals like the sear mechanism and easily(no machining), convert it to a Class3 machine gun or true Assault Rifle.

Since real M-16s go for around $16,0000 you can see what a conversion from AR-15 to M-16 would go for. I have an Sp1 myself, I was told average price would fall between $1,200 and $2,000 before this new round of craziness got going. Today, $3,000 would be pretty easy to get I would think.

I have been considering the same thing, sell mine and buy a new one later if/when the prices go back down. I don't even want a machine-gun.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
halfcocked

I've been seeing the SP-1 carbines go for about $1300-$1500 before the craziness began recently. Full length SP-1 were hovering about $1200. Those are the prices I would see on sturmgewehr.com pretty often. I have a SP-1 carbine with an unknown aftermarket upper (with 11.5" bbl and 5.5" pinned FH) and I've also wondered about selling for a more modern one. It's a piece of history though, so I hang onto it even though I haven't shot it in 10+ years.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:44 PM   #7
B. Lahey

I think I offered you a straight trade for my MSAR the last time you pondered selling it. I just sold that MSAR for $1,850. So, by sort of squishymath, that makes your Colt woth $1,850.

Colt still makes lots of ARs for the civilian market, but I don't think they have put out many pencilbarrels in years.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Quentin2

Quote:
Colt still makes lots of ARs for the civilian market, but I don't think they have put out many pencilbarrels in years.
Colt still sells their 6720 which is a pencil barrel carbine. A very nice AR! I almost bought one a year ago but like midlength gas better on a 16" barrel instead of carbine length gas.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
coltcollector

SP1 Carbine SOLD! for $2500.

Sold my SP1 carbine when the "BAN SCARE" started for $2500. Now there selling on Gunbroker for as little as $1250. Gonna buy one back when it gets a little lower. Got the Colt 3x20 scope in the box for sale for $300 and shipping.
Old August 8, 2015, 10:54 AM   #10
KSDeputy

Colt SP Carbine-any collector's value???

I am interested in knowing the answer as well. I have a mint SP 1 carbine, and rifle. I bought them new. Fired very little, look new.