The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

hmmm.... that "new" old assult rifle ???

I'm honestly not much of a semi auto guy, because I'm a big time reloader, & hate picking up brass...

but I do have an old Woodsmans Carbine in 30-06, that was my FIL's regular deer gun, before he died... I sure hate to see that put in "the assult rifle" class just because it has changable magazines, & is semi auto... hmmm... maybe I should turn in it ( NOT !!!! )

so what rifles do you guys have, that were entirely built around hunting, that have now joined ranks with the other EBR's ???

I can think of Browning BAR's, my old Remington 742 ( I think )... I'm sure there are others ???
Old January 7, 2013, 12:19 PM   #2
CTS

What has been proposed so far is any semi auto that has removeable or fixed mag capable of holding more than 10 rounds so I think your Woodsman will be safe but any tube feed .22LR and all Ruger 10/22s will be a no no. I have both. Reckon I will have to register them with NFA at $200 each? I don't see that happening. I don't think much of what is being bandied around will ever pass. Look at the amount of revenue that will be lost due to the firarms industry cutting way back on what they can produce which in turn will likely lead to major plant closings and jobs lost. When it all comes down to it, the government looks at things in terms of money. They may get a few things passed but I don't think it will be as drastic as many are worried about.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Remington did make magazines for that rifle later, that did hold 10 rounds, though I think the magazines that came with it only hold 5
Old January 7, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
CTS

Your still good as long as it didn't have mags that held over ten,
Old January 7, 2013, 02:38 PM   #5
rickyrick

I'd say the ranch rifle version of the mini14, I don't rightly recall the original intended use of the mini14, but it has been used by LE, prisons and such.

Many owners have wished it was an official assault rifle...and they may get what they asked for.

Mr. Ruger isn't around any more to save it.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
mooner

This is a good reason to point out that all gun owners need to stick together in opposing this type of legislation. If your favorite type of gun is not considered "evil" now, it will eventually be the target if we allow them ANY leeway.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:17 PM   #7
mooner

This is a good reason to point out that all gun owners need to stick together in opposing this type of legislation. If your favorite type of gun is not considered "evil" now, it will eventually be the target if we allow them ANY leeway.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Hairbag

I think they got everything covered this time They learned from the last AWB The lever action rifle might survive who knows? It maybe time to pick one up! Crap I sold my Marlin 44mag last year I knew I would regret it. That gun jarred my fillings loose! I'm thinking a 357mag lever?
Old January 7, 2013, 05:59 PM   #9
stubbicatt

In this instance, we hang together or we hang alone.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:46 PM   #10
rickyrick

Hahaha, we all had a good laugh when mossberg came out with the tactical lever action........