The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Knight KRB muzzle loader for hunting ???

I bought one of the Knight rolling block muzzleloaders new a couple years ago, stainless full camo after they went out of business ( I got a "smoken" good deal ) sorry about the pun... I'm not much of a muzzleloader shooter... yet... anything I should know ( good or bad ) as I start getting ready to use this rifle to deer hunt for the 1st time ( with this rifle & with a muzzleloader ) this year??? Thanks
Old August 8, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

for those not familiar with the rifle... here's an artical on them...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/knight_KRB7.htm
Old August 9, 2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Rachen

Howdy, those things are more than capable of taking any and I mean any North American big game.

Cabelas have a lot of these selling year round and some of the newest ones are capable of producing more than 2300 fps with 150 grains of FFFg. Combine that with a 350 grain sabot bullet or a plain ol' Maxie Ball if you are more traditional, and you get a round that is about is similar in power to a .308.

Now if you really want to up the notch and perhaps go to Africa and take on the legendary Big Five, you can check these out:

http://badbullmuzzleloaders.com

Those really bring out the full potential energy that is stored in black powder and substitutes. You are literally shooting something that falls between the .338 Lapua Mag and the .600 Nitro Express in terms of energy.
Old August 9, 2011, 02:45 PM   #4
arcticap

There's some useful info. about it in these threads.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ight-krb7.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ing-block.html

Note that 2 pellets of 777 is equal to about 85 - 90 grains of loose 777 powder.
Keep the trigger mechanism as clean as possible.
Old August 9, 2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Doyle

Here are the tips I give every new inline ML shooter.

1. Forget about the pellets. Yes, they are more convenient. However, that convenience comes at a sacrifice to accuracy.
2. Many guns will not shoot Powerbelts accurately. I won't even try them anymore. Good Hornady SSTs in sabots shoot better, hit just as hard, and cost less (the T/C Shockwave is a Hornady SST with a different color tip and a higher pricetag).
3. Remove the breech plug and wet swab after EVERY shot. That prevents any crud ring buildup and ensures that your sight-in will mirror an actual hunting shot.
4. Learn to be ABSOLUTELY consistent with your powder charge volume and ramrod pressure. With a ML, consistency translates to accuracy.
5. Get some of those pre-load containers to take hunting. I use the kind that store a pre-measured powder charge, bullet, and primer all together. A piece of masking tape holds everthing together.
6. Speaking of masking tap, put a small roll in your backpack. If it starts to rain, use a piece to cover the muzzle and another piece to cover the frame gap. This will help keep stuff dry. The tape is soft enough that the shot blast will blow it right off.