The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 26, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
wheelyfun

Cimarron Thunderstorm?

Hey All,
Anyone have any experience with the new Thunderstorm (cheesy name) from Cimarron Arms?

They have sold a birdshead grip SAA for a long time, but this new model features an "action job from the factory", a checkered birdshead grip, and a wide and low hammer.

Been lusting after one of the following: Ruger Sheriffs new Vaquero (44special)
USFA Double Eagle (44 spec)
Cimmaron or Uberti Birdshead SAA (45LC)

The US Firearms is damn expensive (my dealer can sell for $999.)
The Ruger is great, but dull looking. Will send to Turnbull restoration for color case hardening, and install a Super Black Hawk hammer (lower and wider).
The Cimarron....kinda cheap, but worried about quality. I had a Uberti Cattleman in .357, and the hand broke after barely any use.

Please Advise!
Old July 26, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

A new shooter in our cowboy action shooting club just ordered a pair from Long Hunter Supply.

Look up Long Hunter and give them a call. They are straight shooters and will give you the rundown. They wouldn't sell them if they were no good and I bet they will stand behind them.

They do look great.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Painted Filly

I got my pair of thunderstorms about 2 weeks about. I got the 357 in the 3 1/2" barrel with the birdshead grips and I love them. Shot BP out of them today and were flawless!

The action job is great! Very smooth out of the box. I got mine directly from Cimarron but Longhunter is great too.

Also these are made by Pietta for Cimarron so quality is top rate!!! Prices are really good!

Karma (Painted Filly SASS 86383)
Old August 8, 2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Jim March

From monitoring the SASS wire the impression seems to be that Pietta has really stepped up their game. The Great Western IIs are Piettas imported by EMF and have a very good rep - apparently Cimarron has noticed this and picked up Pietta as well.

Pietta's CEO shoots CAS in Europe under the name "Alchemista" and on the EMF site you can find his personal recipe involving a longer grip frame grafted onto an otherwise normal SAA type - sorta like it's Pietta's answer to the Ruger Bisley except it's a bit more like the larger SBH grip frame except narrower a tad .

Oddly, you can also get a Pietta equipped with a transfer bar safety. It's sold by Heritage as the "Big Bore" series, with the final finish applied by Heritage but otherwise a Pietta gun. Gunblast did a positive review but I've not heard of any actual owner reports yet. Interesting idea but, I'd still go Ruger if I wanted a transfer bar as I can get a greater variety of hammers/grip frames/etc.