The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Gunscribe

First Trap and Skeet gun

Could you please provide a few suggestions for a first shotgun that could be used for both trap and skeet?

I would want to spend less than $2,000. I'm hoping that it would be of high enough quality that I wouldn't want to trade up after six months.

Thanks
GS
Old April 25, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2
zippy13

I'm hoping that it would be of high enough quality that I wouldn't want to trade up after six months.
You need to be more specific, is the gun you want to be used over the long haul for trap and skeet? Or, are you looking for a gun that will let you explore trap and skeet better than possible with the typical entry level M500 or R870?

Any gun for trap and skeet will be a compromise. With your budget, you'll probably find yourself with a "general sporting" auto-loader with an adjustable stock and several barrels. As your skills increase, you'll find yourself limited by the capability of the compromise gun, and you'll want to trade up to a more specialized trap or skeet gun. It has nothing to do with the quality of the compromise gun. Perhaps your question should have been, "I want a gun that will maintain a high re-sale value, because I'll eventually want a specialized gun."

Many new shooters face the same dilemma: they get interested in a specific aspect of shot-gunning, but they lack the experience to really know what they want in a new gun. It's not until you're into a new sport for a while that you realize that a specialized gun will work better for you. After you've been shooting your specialized gun for a while you'll get to the point where you're ready for a custom comp gun to take full advantage of your potential (this may take many years, or you may never push the specialized gun to the limits). I think of it as the rule-of-three, guns (or any sport/hobby activity equipment) for: development, refinement, and polish. In most hobbies/sports many folks don't reach the "polishing" stage.
Old April 25, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Couzin

If you want to use the gun for both trap and skeet - get a skeet or sporting designated gun and not a trap designated gun. A trap gun shoots a higher pattern (allows you to float a bird over the barrel for the shot on the rise) and will cause you a lot of problems on the crossing and falling clays of a skeet field.
Old April 25, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
srt 10 jimbo

I use my Mossberg 535 for hunting and skeet, If I shot alot more skeet, I'd get a good over and under though.
Old April 25, 2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Beretta O/Us are nigh ubiquitous at the ranges I frequent. Some come with subgauge tubes for small gauge skeet. Others sport extra long barrels for trap.

Mine does it all, but the long barrels I like for SC and trap are a hair slow ( or maybe it's me) for skeet.

One approach for a first clays gun is to get a name brand autoloader like a 391, 1100 etc, with choke tubes. Change load and choke as needed for the game, and hone your skills while looking for that Magic O/U.

The good news here is if you buy smart and used, that auto will not lose value if you decide to sell or trade it.

Meanwhile, skip the Starbuck's shot and save up for A,

Lots of ammo.

And B, some lessons.

After some level of proficiency is reached, you'll have a better idea of what you need as well as a darn nice autoloader.

HTH....
Old April 25, 2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Gunscribe

revised question

Lots of wisdom here. Thanks.

So it sounds like it's best to get a used autoloader for shooting clays until I figure out whether and how I want to specialize.

Could you please name some models I might consider?
Old April 25, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
dalecooper51

The three semi autos I see most at my club are Remington 1100, Beretta 391, and a few different models of Benelli. The first two are gas guns, which are fairly soft shooting but require a bit more maintenance than the recoil operated Benelli.

I started with an 1100 for skeet. It was a nice reliable gun, but I wasn't a fan of the gas being ported up. I would catch a face full every so often. I recently purchased a Benelli, but don't have enough time with it yet. Most of the time I shoot my 20 ga wingmaster.
Old April 25, 2009, 04:12 PM   #8
Waterengineer

Do yourself a favor. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 go straight to Benelli Super Sport. Several of us on this forum have them. They are made for clay games, never hick-up, are easy to clean and are highly adjustable.

A new 12 bore is pushing $1800 and a used one (if you can find one, good luck) is about $1400+, thus within the stated budget.

(Here is a statement that will start a fight.) The Benelli SS is the auto by which all other clay game autos are measured.
Old April 25, 2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Waterengineer, NOT a fight but a difference of opinion....

In sheer numbers used, the 1100 still leads the pack. Starting in 1963, the 1100 was an affordable, reliable gun that everyone could get.

Even if the internals resembled a shoebox full of razor blades after a while, the things ruled the skeet and trap fields.

The 391 is catching up in numbers, and building oneheckuva reputation in the process.

Benelli makes good guns, but "Rule"?

Nope....
Old April 25, 2009, 05:13 PM   #10
JWT

The 1100 is a good place to start. The gun is solid and has been around for years. New ones are reasonable price wise and there's lots of good used ones available. The choke tubes make them quite 'flexible' for shooting the various clay target disiplines. Very soft recoil. You wouldn't have a lot invested if at some point you did want to 'trade up'. You certainly see lots of them being used for trap and skeet.

Benelli is another option, but a more expensive one.
Old April 25, 2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Waterengineer

Dave McC:

Can't argue with the numbers about the 1100, if only because the 1100 has been in the market for about 10 times longer than the Super Sport.

The 1100 will likely always be the winner because of price point. The Super Sport is expensive. With that said I noticed a new 1100 in 28 bore at the store the other day. Its price was north of $1,000. I was appalled.
Old April 25, 2009, 06:34 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
sar·casm
Pronunciation:
\ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date:

1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm
What you need is an 8 round pump gun with 20 inch barrel and laser fitted with dual pistol grips front and rear. Then you can blast the dust doves from the hip like a real shooter would... 25/25 or 100/100 scores will be a sure thing I bet!
Brent
Old April 25, 2009, 06:45 PM   #13
BigJimP

Zippy13 made some good points - +1 to what he said.

The dominant semi-auto I see in sporting clays and skeet - is the Beretta 390 or 391 / but I continue to see a number of gas operated guns - Remington's, Browing gold, etc.. I don't think any of them are terrible choices - and they have a little bit of adjustability - and will cost you $ 900 - $1,200 probably. There are a number of good used ones out there - but you have to know what you're looking for.

Trap is really a different game - and you can use a Skeet or Sporting clays gun to shoot Trap occasionally - but long term, you will need a specialized Trap gun if you want to shoot Trap seriously.

My friend Waterengineer speaks highly of the Benelli Super Sport - I have them in 12 and 20ga - and they are very good guns / more adjustable than most of the semi-autos ( with modular comb inserts and butt pads to change the point of impact and length of pull easily - left or right handed options too ). If $ 1,875 is in your budget - its a very good buy in my opinion - and resale value on it is high.

The dominant gun in all clay target games is the O/U - something with a monte carlo stock, adjustable comb and probably 30" barrels, and a weight of between 8 and 8 1/2 lbs for most of us - a gun like the Browning XS Skeet or XS Special - but new they are around $3,000 now. If you were to find a good used one - maybe $ 2,250 - $2,500 it would probably be a good buy.

But that gives you some options around $1,000 / around $ 1,875 / around $ 2,500. The best long term gun - 10 years plus - will be the O/U - but any of them will probably meet your needs for Skeet, Sporting Clays, hunting birds - and occassional Trap shooting.

If you get serious - guns like Perazzi, Blaser, Kolar , Krieghoff - and full length tube sets, etc will be on your list.
Old April 25, 2009, 07:00 PM   #14
RoscoeC

Don't rule out a good used autoloader. I picked up a Beretta A390 for $450.00. I haven't found anything I like better new or used. I would like to pick up a nice O/U eventually, but for now I'm really happy with the autoloader. I consider myself a casual shooter. I shoot mostly skeet and sporting clays, about 5000 to 8000 rounds a year.

As said before, for that kind of money, I could either sell the Beretta for what I have in it (ain't gonna happen), or just keep it and get the O/U.

While you are figuring out which O/U you want, you can add to the $1500.00 you have left over.
NRA Life Member
Old April 25, 2009, 07:39 PM   #15
oneounceload

MY .02 worth - for autoloaders......the Beretta 39X series rules the roost....no doubts...... Not saying that Remingtons and Benellis aren't good.....but look around at all of the semi's being shot today by those in the winner corcles and judge for yourself.....

For O/U's - in your price range, nice Browning and Berettas that are lightly used, not new, will fit the bill.

Skeet and trap are two totally different games - and usually the guns are as different as night and day.............
Old April 25, 2009, 08:44 PM   #16
zippy13

Gunscribe

Now you're getting down to the real nitty gritty. And, it's time to make your short list and start test firing some guns. When the time comes for recommendations, many have a favorite gun and they'll suggest you have the same. I often wonder, in such exercises, are some folks seeking some form of affirmation, for their purchase, than making an appropriate recommendation.

Shotgun owners will bend over backwards to be of assistance to newbies. But, in enthusiastic exuberance, it's often it's a matter of the one eyed leading the blind. Not to pick on srt 10 jimbo, he was expressing an honest opinion. His lack of experience is obvious when he recommends a gun specifically designed for 3-1/2 inch shells for multiple game target work. (Less obvious is another member's description of "falling" skeet targets. New shooters spend a lot of time chasing the targets, and they encounter falling ones because they are too slow to take the target nearer the center stake. The same applies to trap shooting, experienced shooters take the targets well before they crest.) I feel awkward singling out another member as an example -- I can only hope that srt 10 jimbo, and others, will be able to shoot some skeet with a more appropriate gun... they'll have more fun and higher scores. (And, we need to get a high-grade gun into hogdog's hands, if only temporary. Perhaps, he'd squeal a little less )

I presently have a Remington 1100 Trap target gun with an extra skeet barrel as my loaner/rainy day trap/skeet/utility gun. If I were to replace it with a similar set up, I'd probably look at a Beretta -- a more advanced gas gun than the 1100. Benellis exhibit state-of-the-art engineering in inertia guns. This may be why Waterengineer and BigJimP (also trained as an engineer) like them. But, I can't get past their outward appearance. I'm a design professional, and IMHO, OJ's "uglyass" is appropriate for the Benelli. I'd be embarrassed to take an extraterrestrial looking Super Sport to a trap field, but I'm an old phart and hard to please.

Some folks love Fords and others prefer Chevys. Many don't chose until after a test drive. And, like the car/truck you never really liked, a "wrong" gun can be traded.

Good luck and happy shooting,
Pete

Last edited by zippy13; April 26, 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: hit wornk key
Old April 25, 2009, 08:52 PM   #17
srt 10 jimbo

actually the first time I shot skeet was with a savage .410/22lr over and under when I was 10. At least I could shoot em with the 22lr once the landed
Old April 25, 2009, 09:04 PM   #18
ATANRA

Gunscribe this may sound off to the rest of the advice. Get a trap stock on the gun. It is a heck of alot easier to hit a target you can see than one you cover up. Over and under is the best way to play , less work and easier to be safe. I would recommend a Ruger O/U with 30 inch barrels. It has mechanical triggers and will fire the second barrel even if the first misses. You can put a trap syle butt pad on it to handle trap and skeet and recoil. You can put a set of gun nuts in the screw holes and change to the original pad when shooting sporting clays or hunting. The plates between the barrels are removeable to lessen wind resistance and allow for more cooling air to flow around the barrels. Stocks should be available with adjustment for offset and rise somewhere near you. Also get the stainlesss receiver. Sweat and rain has no effect and it actually lowers felt recoil for some reason. You are still well under 2000. and have a great all around gun. If you want to drive a sporty model later this one is still great in the field. Also Auto loaders on the trap line require catchers that scrath your gun. If you dont use a catch in singles and handicap you bounce shells of the guy next to you,not good.
Old April 25, 2009, 09:44 PM   #19
zippy13

ATANRA
Your method works well, and your points are well taken. The main problem I see is the use of a Ruger. They aren't very poplar in skeet and trap circles (in my area), so the trade up value is questionable (a concern to the OP). And, a similar set up with a Browning or Beretta O/U will be hard to do within budget. Of course, there's the folks who stumble across unbelievable deals, but you can't always count on finding one.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:01 PM   #20
srt 10 jimbo

I bought my 535 for turkey Hunting I dont shoot skeet much, anymore
Old April 28, 2009, 09:16 PM   #21
ATANRA

Rugers are not the most popular on the east coast either. I have known several skeet shooters who use them but they are not the 1st choice. Bill Ruger would never allow a trap gun because he did not like trap. After he passed away they produced a trap gun. Versatility was my main cocern. Ducks on Saturday, Skeet Sunday morning and Trap on tuesday night. Rabbits and squirrel next fall. Just leaving the options open within the parameters given. SKB builds a good shotgun also that would fit the competition side cant say what resale might be.

Tags
shotgun , skeet , trap