The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 2, 2022, 12:55 PM   #51
SIGSHR

The New Jersey State Police adopted the P7, the troopers didn't like it, required a totally different technique to draw, the safety features "greatly exaggerated", they needed the heat shield, otherwise training and qualification became uncomfortable.
Old November 2, 2022, 05:06 PM   #52
Ricklin

Having owned both a CZ 52 and a CZ 82, the CZ 52 is a good example of a dead end design. Perhaps that makes it a bad example? Sure not a great pistol, but in an interesting caliber. About the only similarities with the pistol that replaced it was the fact it was also a magazine fed semi auto pistol.
Old November 2, 2022, 05:15 PM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I'd like to know my pistol is loaded when I pick it up, with my G19 empty vs. full is quite apparent.
I like the fact that the ammo is a big part of the weight of my carry piece. That strikes me as efficient, and I love efficiency.
Let' be clear on something, are you actually telling us that you determine if a pistol is loaded or not, that there is a round in the chamber, or not by the weight of the gun in your hand??

You made NO mention of checking the chamber, and not physically/visually checking the chamber doesn't seem efficient to me, unless the efficiency you are seeking is an increase in the odds you will have an accident with possibly fatal consequences.

There are a lot of us who can tell by the heft of the some guns if it has a full (or nearly) full load of ammo on board, but no one can tell by the weight if one of those rounds is in the chamber, or not. And, I don't know anyone, myself included who can with complete confidence state a gun is unloaded by the weight in the hand. ONE ROUND doesn't weigh much, not enough for me to feel, and one round, in the chamber, when you don't think it is, can be deadly.

If it seems like I am hammering on this point, I am. Not for you, or to change the way you do things, but for everyone else on the forum who might read this and think doing it the way you wrote it is a good idea.

It's not.