The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Vt.birdhunter

Hard Swaged lead on rifling?

Tempted to use these as airgun pellets/bb's:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sup...uctinfo/SBK1F/

Will the hardened lead damage rifling in my barrels?
Why cant I use use these in an airgun?

Looking for a .22 caliber, cheap, casual plinking ammo; don't care how it groups (I see the disclaimer from the manufacturer)
Old June 30, 2015, 07:12 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

They shouldn't hurt any .22 rifle of even mediocre quality - especially centerfires.

You may, however, want to use some type of wax-based lubricant to avoid leading.

They're not recommended for air guns for, I assume, two reasons:
1. They're too hard and may get jammed in the throat/chamber of air guns.
2. They note that diameter is somewhat variable. Again, oversized shot may cause a jam in an airgun; or, alternatively, undersized shot may cause extremely poor performance.
Old June 30, 2015, 09:35 PM   #3
chris in va

I believe airgun pellets need to be softer so the skirt can seal the bore better. There's not a lot of PSI available as with firearms.
Old July 5, 2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Jimro

If your air rifle can push them out the bore, you should be fine.

Air rifle pellets are made of soft lead so that the skirt will expand to engage the rifling while the head acts like a "bore rider" for best accuracy. The round balls are essentially "BBs" and as long as they an go down your bore they should be fine even if there is some gas bypass.

If they stick in your bore, that's not so good. I would try pushing one through your bore with a brass cleaning rod first to see if there is a lot of resistance.

Jimro
Old July 5, 2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
Specifications: Industry tolerances apply; expect slight variances in shot counts and diameters due to production differences.

If you knew how "Buck Shot" was made you would not ask these types of questions.

Jim
Old July 7, 2015, 09:53 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
If you knew how "Buck Shot" was made you would not ask these types of questions.
And then there is that quote from R. Lee (I think), "If it has lead in it can be shot", then it had something to do with things added to lead that causes bad bullets, that information was covered with swaging, if it can not be melted and poured because it is ugly, swage it.

F. Guffey
Old July 7, 2015, 12:24 PM   #7
243winxb

Peters air rifle shot

The diameter may be more of a problem. No harm in trying. Just make sure barrel is clear before the next shot. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] Can't open it today for photos , its stuck, but i know its lead.
Old July 8, 2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Vt.birdhunter

I was looking for cheap ammo for a full auto .22 pellet rifle. Significant variations in diameter could be BAD if it jammed one in the barrel in full auto.
Not going to take the chance