The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 1999, 04:13 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Recently bought IMR4895 powder. I am looking for applications for the 30-30 Win catridge. I noticed that the current Speer manual shows weights of 27 - 30, but the Lee shows 30 as the minimum. Any thoughts.
Old November 18, 1999, 04:33 PM   #2
Alan B

IMR recommends max load of 35.5 grs of 4895 for a 150gr bullet. So the Speer start of 30 gr looks good http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle/3030w_0_frame.html

also look here http://www.reloadammo.com/3030load.htm

Start light and work up

I use the flyers from the powder companies, plus the Lee book, Sierra books, Hornady books and the speer book. Between all these I can usually find a starting point they all more or less agree on.

I have also noticed the lee book does not reference a lot of IMR powders for some bullets. Their tends to be more of the other types of powders mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Alan B (edited November 18, 1999).]
Old November 18, 1999, 04:44 PM   #3
Colduglandon

I agree, start low, but one of the two manuals, Lee is way off if they are stepping you up to the minimum, and Speer would be way off if they were starting you off at the maximum and going from there. At this point I will start with the 27 and go up. But it's rather confusing when two good sources of data conflict.
Old November 18, 1999, 06:00 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Paul are using the 150 gr Speer bullet and does the Lee manual list loads for that bullet? There's more to it than bullet weight alone.