The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 1999, 01:31 AM   #1
Fusternc

I just purchased my first reloading kit and some supplies online. (Lee 35th Anniversary kit and Lee carbide dies )I intend on reloading for my Sig P220 .45. I ordered the 230 grain RN FMJ jacketed bullets from National bullet (I think) and I have some once fired cases on the way. Question is, what primers do you suggest and where do I get them? Also any specific powders (specific brand and type please) you guys suggest? I am quite new to guns (7 months ago), and have NEVER reloaded before nor do I know anyone who does. How well do Sig P220's handle home reloads? All I use my handgun for is target practice. Any tips on things to avoid, special techniques, etc? Thanks!

Nathan..
Old November 16, 1999, 09:16 AM   #2
karlfitt

I like Federal Primers myself, you should be able to get them at a local gun shot (my local supplier is the gun section in the local ACE hardware store).
For powder I use Bullseye. It was made by Hercules who is now Aliant powder. I am not sure if they still make all the same powders since the takeover, the can I have is a 4 pounder.
Winchester 231 would also be a good choice, but I like the Bullseye better because my gun likes it better and the charge is smaller so I get more rounds per pound.

Karl
Old November 17, 1999, 09:47 PM   #3
Paul B.

My Sig P-220A has digested everything I have put in it, so far. You might consider Alliant Unique. It works for me. Bullseye and W-231 are good too. I haven't had my Sig for too long yet, but 230 gr. hardball commercial reloads, 230 gr. cast lead, and 200 gr. cast lead semi-wadcutters have done real fine for me, with no feeding problems encountered.
Paul B.
Old November 18, 1999, 08:38 AM   #4
Fusternc

Great. Its good to hear that at least one person so far is having good luck with their Sig P220 and using home reloads. I had the unique powder recommended to me yesterday. The person said that it was a little "dirty", but this isn't a problem for me being that my Sig gets cleaned religiously EVERY time it is fired. ALready have CCI 300 LArge Pistol primers. Will this and Unique powder with a 230grn FMJ-RN work well? Can't wait to get going on this reloading. I'm sure I will have some questions along the way.

Nathan...
Old November 18, 1999, 11:17 AM   #5
Paul B.

I use a lot of Unique in my .45 ACP loads. Starting load for the 230 gr. FMJ in the Lyman book is 5.0 gr. This is what I use in 200 gr. and 230 gr. cast lead loads. Point of impact is different from factory stuff, but I shoot for groups and don't worry as long as it is on the paper. It shoot to point of aim with my defense loads, and that is what counts.
I'm going to try W-231 as soon as I have time to load some up.
Paul B.
Old November 18, 1999, 03:33 PM   #6
Robert the41MagFan

I am all thumbs when it come to reloading. I'm the self-proclaimed worst reloader on the planet. Been reloading since day one for the P220 and there is nothing that I have made that it won't eat. The only advise that I have to offer is that the tolerances on these firearms is tight. Making headspace and case mouth dimensions critical. Common mistake with beginner, don't over flair the case mouth during expansion and make sure that you have the proper seating depth when inserting the bullet. If you do not have a headspace gauge, take the gun apart and use the barrel to check those first bullets you make. Make sure that they fit freely in the chamber.

Robert