The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: What 1911?
Springfield Loaded .45 30 31.91%
Colt XSE (stainless) 39 41.49%
Colt Combat Elite XSE (two-tone) 25 26.60%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2009, 09:45 AM   #1
cschwanz

Springfield Loaded vs Colt XSE

Ok, so i have ben contemplating my soon to be new 1911 for some time now and was focusing on the SA Loaded. When i went to call my dealer to get some pricing, he told me that it was going to be nearly impossible to get one due to demand, but he had a better chance of getting a new Colt(and actually had a few in his store). He's got me looking into the XSE/Combat Elite (i really like the two-tone). My question is, if you were in my shoes, would you wait on the Springfiel or spend a lil more and get the Colt? Anyone who has had experiences with both guns would really be appreciated. I havent looked into Colts much before. whats a fair price for the XSE/Combat Elite?

thanks everyone
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old May 4, 2009, 10:00 AM   #2
azredhawk44

I don't have a Springer 1911, but I have a Sig 1911 and a Colt Commander XSE 1911.

From here on out, I'm a Colt man 100%.

Springfield has a good reputation for 1911's, but Colt has been making them for almost 100 years. They know what they are doing. They retain their value better.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I voted Springfield. The Colt XSE was going to be my first 1911 but I stumbled across a Springfield TRP. While the TRP is a step up from the Loaded model, I'm very impressed with both my TRP and Springfield's products and have no issues recommending the Loaded over the XSE based on features and quality.

With that said, if I ever buy a second 1911 (and I want too) the Colt XSE is still on my list. While I love my TRP, there is just something about owning a Colt and I still really like the XSEs.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Webleymkv

Either one is an excellent gun. I voted for the Colt simply because it's more easily available.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Dobe

I voted for the Colt because it is as good as the Springer, and happens to be my choice. In reality, both are on par with each other.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:31 AM   #6
lomaxanderson

I put a Loaded on layaway

...when I got it out I was so dissapointed in it I took it back to show them what I thought were problems and was told it was cosmetic...I took it to someone who knows 1911's and he was shocked ...the whole slide looked like it was milled crooked ,the slide and frame didn't line up at the rear ,the sights were offset to the right ,after 32 rounds the slide was marred from the frame on the left side...traded it in on a colt...much better
Now I didn't send it back to springfield I just got rid of it ,back to where I got it...what ever you get look it over real close before you commit

Mason Rhea Gsd

Last edited by lomaxanderson; May 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 4, 2009, 03:01 PM   #7
cschwanz

thanks for the replys thus far. im liking the sounds of a new colt in my future
Old May 5, 2009, 11:33 AM   #8
bikerbill

I've had a Loaded for several years, it's my nightstand gun and I love it ... shoots straight, has never FTF, eats almost anything but CorBon DPX and is easy to clean and maintain ... I've got friends with Colts and they are fine guns; I'd still take the Springer but if I had to wait months, that might change my mind ...
Old May 5, 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
hdawson228

I would have to wonder why the Colts are so available and the Springers are in very short supply.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:52 AM   #10
dbgun

I have a Colt XSE SS, which is what I voted for. My buddy has a Springfield 1911-A1 in black stainlees, and that is a sweet pistol. You can't go wrong with what ever you choose. Just my $02.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:10 PM   #11
RickB

Quote:
I would have to wonder why the Colts are so available and the Springers are in very short supply.
Because it's a holiday in Brazil?
Old May 5, 2009, 12:11 PM   #12
azredhawk44

Quote:
Becuase, for some strange reason I have yet to fully fathom, people are afraid of spending that extra $50-$100 or so to go for the Colt rather than the Springer/Kimber/Sig/whatever.

And, a lot of times, the price is almost directly comparable... not even a $50 difference.

I think it's because Colt has almost no marketing, but Springfield and Kimber (in particular) spend huge amounts of money advertising in magazines.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Auto426

Both are very fine choices, and both should serve you well. That being said, I would go for the Colt.

The Colt is already in the store, no wait necessary. The Colt will also hold it's value better than the Springfield will. While the Colt and Springfield are close in price and features, Colt uses better parts to build their guns. Colt uses more hand fitting during their assembly process than most other mass producers, which usually results in more accurate and better functioning pistols.

The only issue I ever hear about with XSE's is that sometimes the rear sights come loose. That can easily be solved with a little loctite on the rear sight screw before you go out and shoot it. You hear of a lot more problems with Springers, though Springfield has great customer service and will usually fix any and all problems on their dime.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Playboypenguin

I own both guns...

...and can honestly say that they are both extremely nice guns. Mechanically they are both very nice, but the Colt does outshine the Springer just a tiny bit when it comes to fit and finish (mostly finish). Since they shoot and handle almost identically the cosmetic differences become more important.

The springer does have a few fancier options on it though. Such as ambi-safety, extended thumb safety, beavertail, etc.

If you are asking my opinion, I would always be willing to pay a little extra for the Colt. Partly because of the better finishing and partly because of the fact that Colt's really hold their value.

Springer Champion

Colt XSE

Springer

Colt
Old May 5, 2009, 05:49 PM   #15
cschwanz

PBP, thanks for the pics. Why does it not surprise me that you have both
Old May 5, 2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Nevertoomanyguns

My grandfather has a colt from like 1930 something and its a fine shooter. I only own one 1911 and it is a parkerized loaded Springfield. I couldn't be any happier. This thing is a tack driver, in a scary way. As long as I don't think about the shot and just raise the gun and fire it hits everything I shoot at. I love it and do not need to buy another 1911. Maybe I got a luck one, but I'm happy.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:51 PM   #17
skoro

A year ago...

I was considering a Colt XSE, a Kimber Stainless II and a Springfield Loaded. All were very comparable in terms of fit, finish, features, and desirability. I decided to go with the Colt, mostly because it's a Colt. And that means a direct connection to the 45s going all the way back to the WWI trenches. Maybe that doesn't count with some, but it does with me.

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:34 PM   #18
Moe Howard

I had a 5 inch Springfield Loaded and really liked it. I sold it several months ago to buy a Colt XSE. I have several carry options but I almost always choose the Colt. There is just something about this particular gun that has gripped me. I really don't much like carrying anything else.

Old April 1, 2012, 09:16 PM   #19
swipes22

Beavertail

So I basically have my next purchase down to one of these two pistols. The one, most visible difference for me is the beavertail grip safety on the Springer. This just seems like it would be MUCH more comfortable than the grip safety on the Colt, but I've shot neither of them. Can anyone speak to the comfort of the two? I mean, if I put 300 rounds downrange with the Colt, is my thumb meat going to be black and blue? haha
Old April 1, 2012, 09:23 PM   #20
whippoorwill

I've had both. Still have the Colt. The duckbill will have no negative effect on your "thumb meat." In any case, I believe that the XSE models now have the beavertail.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:52 PM   #21
swipes22

Colts with beavertail? Do tell...if anyone has a pic, I'd love to see it!

And yes, I'm finding what you guys are...that Colts are at least PREDICTED to be available soon. No dealer around here even expects to have the Springfield Champion in soon.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:02 PM   #22
swipes22

Okay, so I found a pic at the most obvious location -- Colt's website. Let me tell you -- if I found one in store with the beavertail grip, I'd lay down the dough pretty quick. I trust your judgement that it's not a big deal with comfort, so I guess it comes down to aesthetics. I like the beavertail, what can I say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O4012XSE.jpg (36.2 KB, 29 views)
Old April 1, 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
ms6852

I have the springfield black steel loaded and I ccw this particular piece. Just plain awesome. I have no experience with the colt you listed but do have experience with colts 1911 when I was in the Army.

Old April 2, 2012, 12:24 AM   #24
swipes22

I'm located in Southern California and there are limited options for serious handgunners. Basically Turners, Bass Pro and a few more "boutique" shops like Fowlers and Ammo Bros. If anyone on here is from SoCal and knows where to find a good selection of 1911s, I'm all ears.

ms6852, that's a pretty pistol! Is that a 5" barrel? The neat thing about the Champion models is the 4" barrel for me. 4.25" works, especially since they are doppelgangers more or less.

Old April 2, 2012, 12:48 AM   #25
BikerRN

I have both.

If forced to choose between the two I'd choose the Colt. Nothing wrong with the Springfield but I do favor the Colt because of little issues.

The Springfield uses a FLGR. To me that's a negative and the first thing to change. In return the Springfield has night sights where as the Colt don't. The Colt feels better in the hand, to me, because of a relief cut under the trigger guard. The Springfield doesn't have that relief cut. It will cost a pretty penny to have a 'smith put that "cut" in the Springfield and then it will need to be refinished. The finish on the Colt is better.

Both are good but the Colt is better in my opinion.