The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
jpoolsmyd2

Wow. Ammo shortage even in NoVA

I haven't felt the effects of the ammo shortage that I've been hearing about until today. Went to Dick's to get 9mm and .45 because I am running a little low from trips to the range. Stone cold OUT of everything. Every single handgun caliber sold out. They did have some .223 at a good price.

I had picked up .45 and .9mm at the same Dicks a couple of weeks ago. I figured the shortage just had not reached northern VA. Maybe I just figured there were fewer shooters here and more antis for some reason.

But it's real. Wow. What an eye opener.

Went to the Walmart close by in Fair Lakes. They did have a whole bunch of 9mm and I bought as much as I could. The guy at the counter said there was a 5 box limit. I chatted with him for a little bit and he agreed to sell me 10 boxes. But no .45 to be found. He said it sold out the day they got it in (yesterday). Great price, though at 8.99 per box. Wish I could have bought it all up.

So
Old April 10, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
HappyGunner

My close Walmart has been out of all 9mm .40&.45 Ammo for Months. Last night I took a trip to another Walmart about 15 miles away. went to the sporting goods counter and saw three white boxs of Win 100rd .45 Ammo. price $29.95 each. Lady said they just that hour unloaded just the three box's in a ammo. shipment. I at first said I will take two, lady said why not take them all. I said well ok I did not wish to be a hog but when she offered all three I just agreed. I think back about three years ago the same box cost $18.95 at Walmart.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:38 PM   #3
rfulmer

I hit my first "limit" today on how much I could buy.

I was at Academy Sports today looking for a couple of bricks of Federal Champion .22 LR. They had about 5 bricks, all I wanted was two bricks which was the limit.

They told me that some gun dealers were coming in and buying all they had when it was in stock so they started limiting it to two bricks per customer.

I happened into Dick's yesterday and they happened to have nearly a case of 380 on the shelf, they didn't expect it to last till that evening. It was prices at less than $17.00.

Around here it isn't hard to find anything except 380 (which I don't shoot much). Most all stores except Wal-Mart have about any caliber you could want as long as you aren't too picky about which brand you get. I picked up 3 boxes of Blazer Brass 40 S&W today for about $12.50 a box.

I have some 40 S&W dies on the way from Dillon and have already stocked up on parts to start loading my own. I already load my own 45 acp which runs me about $6 to $8 a box depending on the bullets I use. Along with everyone else, the only thing I'm having a hard time finding is small primers. I bought 4K large primers around the end of last year and 1K smalls so I have enough to last through most of the summer, I have hopes through some local dealers in finding more by time I use up what I have.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:08 PM   #4
voyager4520

Yeah the ammo shortage sure is real in Colorado. Anyone not experiencing it yet, get your hands on as much now as you can. Maybe even more than you need, then sell it at a higher price when everyone else in your area is dying for ammo.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:13 PM   #5
varoadking

Quote:
Yeah the ammo shortage sure is real in Colorado. Anyone not experiencing it yet, get your hands on as much now as you can. Maybe even more than you need, then sell it at a higher price when everyone else in your area is dying for ammo.
I was with you until that last part...
Old April 11, 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
bigautomatic

ditto......
Old April 11, 2009, 07:39 AM   #7
TacticalDefense1911

I just bought a reloading press because of all this (now its hard to find primers ). I can find self defense ammuntion if I want to but practice ammunition is hard to come by.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:36 AM   #8
ritepath

Can't find zip here in Southern VA.

dealers get in stock and it's gone 3 minutes later.

wally world hasn't had anything while I'm there for months.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:37 AM   #9
lomaxanderson

...here in Charleston SC it seems to be easing up ...I hear of ammo at wall mart now and agin ...Dick's has it too ...the gun stores have all you want if you don't mind getting slightly bent over...Got 3000 primers the other day locally ...Can't wait for all the Hoarders to want to get rid of all the ammo they bought up ...it will drive the price back down...startiing to see more for sale from people who have alot stocked piled

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old April 11, 2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Dingoboyx

Ditto

You're norty Voyager, thats not nice That is EXACTLY what is happening and what we dont want to happen

Shame on you
Old April 11, 2009, 10:25 AM   #11
chris in va

There's no freakin' ammo shortage people! People are panicking and buying up everything in sight. Manufacturers are making the same as they always have.

How would you like it if some tanker truck came along and sucked all the gas out of the station, when all you want to do is go for a drive with the family?:barf:
Old April 12, 2009, 02:33 AM   #12
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
There's no freakin' ammo shortage people!
Every gun shop and sporting goods store that I have been to in recent months, not to mention weeks or months of sitting on a waiting list for on-line purchases, would indicate otherwise.

Or maybe that I have been trying to get a certain powder since last October and still can't get it.

Or maybe the literally hundreds of thousands of new .380s out there in the last one year, now with no available ammo.

Even if the ammo makers are producing at the same rate as before, again literally hundreds of thousands of new guns in the U.S. in the last year looking for food.

Not even to mention any "runs on the banks". (And I have less ammo/components than a year ago sitting on my shelves.)

Yes, Virginia there is an ammo shortage.

Now, go figure...
Old April 12, 2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's real here in rural Central Pennsylvania, as well.

No .45, 9mm or many other calibers at Wal Mart.

I wonder if that means that they're going anti-gun or something?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:56 AM   #14
Dobe

Quote:
There's no freakin' ammo shortage people! People are panicking and buying up everything in sight.

I think that is in part the definition of a shortage. The shortage is on the consumer side.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:56 AM   #15
SkiShoot

Quote:
There's no freakin' ammo shortage people! People are panicking and buying up everything in sight. Manufacturers are making the same as they always have.

How would you like it if some tanker truck came along and sucked all the gas out of the station, when all you want to do is go for a drive with the family?
This is absolutely true. How many of you would normally run in and buy 5 boxes of ammo per trip? Would you just buy 1 or 2 for your next range trip, then 1 or 2 more the next time? I bet the majority of folks would...but now you have everyone scurrying around buying up 2x, 3x, even 5x more than they normally would. And b/c they can't get their normal WWB, they're buying whatever else they can. If you only have 1 out of 5 people buying 5x or more than they normally would, that's going to eat up everything that 5 people used to buy! What happens when 2 or 3 out of 5 people do the same? Shortage... It is completely fabricated by our own actions. And now you have thousands of new firearm owners adding to the pain b/c guns themselves are selling like hotcakes.

When a hurricane's coming, and the supermarket is out of bread... do you think it's b/c the bakery can't make enough to keep up? This is like a nationwide hurricane that's never going to hit. The firearms industry is laughing their a**es off I bet.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:29 AM   #16
Dobe

Quote:
What happens when 2 or 3 out of 5 people do the same? Shortage... It is completely fabricated by our own actions.
It's still a shortage. If supply can't match demand, the result is a shortage. Just because the manufacurers are producing as much or even more ammo than before, and even though many people are mass purchasing, this doesn't deter from the fact that there is a shortage of cheap Walmat Ammo.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:49 AM   #17
vel525

The shortage in NoVa is definitely real. I haven't been able to buy cheaper range ammo for a few months. Few days ago I happen to call the Wal Mart out in Burke and they had just received a few cases. I drove over first thing the next morning and bought a lot. I almost bought everything, but felt a little bad, so left some for you all
Old April 12, 2009, 10:56 AM   #18
varoadking

The Short Pump Wal-Mart in the West End of Richmond has gone to a four box maximum per person, per day.

They put out 8,000 rounds of 9mm WWB at 7:00 this morning, and after I bought my four 100 round boxes at 9:00, they had about 1,200 rounds left...

I imagine they are sold out by now...
Old April 12, 2009, 10:57 AM   #19
2DaMtns

I went into a local Walmart week or two ago and saw 5 of the 250 rd Rem-UMC 45 and 7 or 8 bricks of 22LR, thought things were letting up. Went back two days later do buy some 45 for a friend, all of it was gone. So much for let up. I bet one greedy SOB came in and bought most of it.
Old April 12, 2009, 12:48 PM   #20
NWCP

I usually buy in quantity when it comes to 9mm. I go through about 200 rounds a week so I try to get 1000 rounds at a pop. I'm not hording, just covering normal usage. Now I'm lucky to find two boxes of 9mm anywhere. I get it when I can and have adjusted my range trips accordingly.
Old April 12, 2009, 02:08 PM   #21
Paige

My Walmart get's wiped out by a local ammo dealer who sells at the shows, he comes in late and picks the cases off the pallet before they hit the shelves, the girls i talk to behind the counter say the manager let's him do it.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:24 PM   #22
Dobe

I think, I would report that manager.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Darth AkSarBen

Found a place locally that has some Large Pistol primers. Bought a few (1000) the other day and may go back after Wed. and buy some more. Primers are kind of necessary for reloading. I have powder, I keep my brass and I have bullets, but can't make primers. I can cast lead bullets and resize them but no good unless you have primers.
CCI in Lewiston ID are several Billion behind schedule.
AR Performance 16" 5R 1:11.25 twist barrel in 6.8 SPC, 80% lower, along with LOTS of other things.