The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 8, 2021, 07:58 PM   #1
joeranger

Plinking semi .22 with threaded barrel?

Now that I am living in VA, I can "accessorize". I was set on the M&P sport but it doesn't have a threaded barrel. It the $500 range, are their any fun 22 plinkers I can attach a can to?

I read the q&a and they specifically said this did not have a threaded barrel but it has a flash hider...odd.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/smit...low-back-rifle
Old November 8, 2021, 08:36 PM   #2
Pahoo

Options and Question

Quote:
It the $500 range, are their any fun 22 plinkers I can attach a can to?
There are a number of them and have noticed that the list is growing. Just ti mention a couple; In the .22LR look at Savage and of course. Many come with a 1/2-28 threaded protector that you can replace with whatever you like. ,,

Also, at a local Gun-Show, there was a vendor who would cut and machine your existing barrel for $100.00 bucks. He stated; "Any Barrel". ,,,

Now then, I went to your link and am a bit confused as I can't see why that isn't a threaded barrel. Understand that I do not own one of these but have seen enough to really question what they are saying. Perhaps some, in here can shed more light one the subject ...... IRO

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 8, 2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old November 8, 2021, 10:08 PM   #3
Butzbach

Ruger Mark IV Lite

The Ruger Mark IV Lite has a threaded barrel.
Old November 9, 2021, 03:55 PM   #4
jpx2rk

The Ruger MKIV is a fun gun to have/own. I bought one and a Ruger can at the same just to have the "compatibility", no complaints at all about mine set up.

If you want a 22lr rifle, buy a cheapo 10/22 and "accessorize" it with a Feddersen barrel, they come threaded if desired. Very accurate too.
Old November 9, 2021, 04:55 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

If you're not set on the AR look, Ruger has both the 10/22 and the Ruger American Rimfire, both of which are available with threaded barrels.
Old November 9, 2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Crunchy Frog

The S&W 15-22 with a flash hider (not the compliant version with no muzzle device) has a threaded barrel. Unscrew the flash hider and thread on the can. It’s a pretty good suppressor host.
Old November 9, 2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Pahoo

Thanks Crunchy

Quote:
Unscrew the flash hider and thread on the can. It’s a pretty good suppressor host.
That is the reply I have been waiting an thought as much. Go for it !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old November 9, 2021, 10:19 PM   #8
AzShooter

I really like my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I don't have a can but the gun is ready to use one.

If you do some searching, there are a lot of guns available now with threaded barrels.

Good luck in your search.
Old November 14, 2021, 12:50 PM   #9
joeranger

I found the S&W 15-22 at the local show for $450 with a red/green dot brand new Now I need to find a 19mm wrench and figure out which way counterclockwise is
Old November 14, 2021, 02:47 PM   #10
berettaprofessor

You can buy clamp-on threaded adapters for many 22 rifles. I have them for an AR7, 10-22, and SW15-22. I buy them here: https://www.tacticool22.com/product-...apters/page/2/

If you're wondering why I didn't just get threaded barrels, all three rifles were purchased without, and, in the case of the SW15-22, prior to when threaded barrels were sold for the rifles. In the case of the AR7, the adapter makes a nice addition to the survival "pack."
Old November 14, 2021, 06:01 PM   #11
BornFighting88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
If you're not set on the AR look, Ruger has both the 10/22 and the Ruger American Rimfire, both of which are available with threaded barrels.
I second this. If you get a Charger, or a charger take down???? Then a small package with a lotta fun. Get a 10/22 take down and MagPul’s stock for it, the back packer. Very cool with extra mag storage and you can store the barrel under the action when taken down.

As with all 22’s and especially suppressed ones…. Clean clean clean!