The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Kingcuda360

Looking for more info on a EAA Corp Baikal IZH-43KH

Recently picked one up for 250 bucks and havent been able to find a whole lot of info on it. From what I understand the 43KH has true external hammers where as the 43K just has cocking levers. I've tried searching on gunbroker and most of what I'm finding are from Remington. My particular gun does have screw in chokes and has the etching of the bull rider on the sides I'd rate the condition at 90 percent. Can anyone give me a little more info on this firearm and what it might be worth?
Old September 7, 2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Seedy Character

Remington marketed several models made by Baikhal, with Rem name on them.

$250 is about right.
Old September 7, 2021, 05:10 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

The Baikal shotguns are pretty good quality for the price. Better than a Stoeger Coach Gun at a lower price. That is, until they fell under an import ban.

The hammerless (internally hammered) doubles are more popular in cowboy action shooting. The ones with external hammers typically bring less.
Old September 8, 2021, 11:31 AM   #4
stinkeypete

My old pistolsmith was a fan of Baikal guns. His position was that they made a good foundation and he could customize them to be very nice. Something about “good steel.”

Baikal s used to be imported more commonly. The hunting side by sides had a reputation for being heavy but utterly reliable at an excellent price.

What you have there, I think, is a desirable shotgun. I’d use it for rabbit hunting or grouse and not worry if it rained a bit. It would be fun for cowboy shooting, and although I don’t do “home defense”, I would prefer external hammers for a “farmhouse gun”… personally, I don’t care for the idea of leaving a shotgun loaded and cocked for months at a time.

Like manual transmission, cocking those hammers back requires enough strength and skill and intent to mean pulling the trigger means what it should mean.

What’s it worth? I’d be tempted to buy it from you at that price right now, because I know what it is. You got a good deal, but it’s not worth $500. Not for everyone, but to the guy that wants it, nice shotgun.
Old September 9, 2021, 10:29 AM   #5
Seedy Character

I will add,

Remington had a recall on their 887.

They replaced it by putting their name on the Baikhal. The Remington SRS semi-auto 3 1/2" 12ga. Shoots 3" and heavy 2 3/4", too.

I have 1. So far, totally reliable and nice looking

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a good deal on a Baikhal.
Old September 13, 2021, 03:35 AM   #6
darkgael

I have had a Baikal izh43 since the Guns started showing up in the USA I like the gun. I shot it a lot. It developed the nasty habit of doubling.