The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 7, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
granth3w

Can someone ID this rifle?

I'm hoping this is the right spot for this, but if it's not, let me know, or mods move it, please.

Someone asked about it on a Facebook group page and all they stated was "Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? It has an octagon barrel and no stamps or markings anywhere".

I've done a little searching, but my knowledge on older firearms is VERY limited.

Old July 7, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
tahunua001

there is a firearms research forum here as well but this will likely be fine here. looks to me like an old single shot shotgun of some sort but with nothing but a blurry cell phone pic of the receiver I can't even tell if it's a shotgun or a 22lr. more pics that are more detailed would probably be in order and 2nd hand information can often create the "telephone phenomenon".

if you can, see if this user can get some clearer, more detailed pics. also a lot of guns devoid of markings just have them on the underside and are covered by the stock. some makers for long ago liked to keep their markings inconspicuous. nothing like the walking billboards that they put on guns these days.
Old July 7, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I suspect that it's an old parlor gun, but it's really tough to tell from the photograph.

You're going to have to provide some CLEAR photos of the gun, especially with the action OPEN.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Mr_Raw

I believe it to be an H. Pieper rifle, and the action to be of the Flobert-Warnant design.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can see only one picture and four blocks that I can't do anything with.

From what I can tell, it looks like a Warnant action. If I am correct, the rifle is loaded by cocking the hammer, then lifting the little knob on the side to raise the breechblock to load the chamber. Those and similar guns were imported into the U.S. by the ton, mostly in the period before WWI. The original Flobert had no lock or breechblock, the heavy hammer serving as both. The use of a breechblock, following the patents of Warnant and others, was a real improvement, and the rifles were fairly sturdy. Still, they were inexpensive and not always well made, so they tended to be discarded in favor of better quality U.S. made guns as soon as they wore out.

Value is not high, generally under $100 in average condition. There is a mild collector interest.

Jim