The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 21, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Roundeye

gun safe recommendation

I have two guns and I need a safe very soon. I have a 14 month old son but would also like a safe I can access rather quickly if need be. I was thinking about the fingerprint safe but heard they aren't the greatest.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
dieselbeef

some advice...buy the very biggest you can afford..cuz theyre never big enough...more than guns ends up in em..
Old January 21, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
UnitMaster

I've got two of these Steelwater's. For the money you can't beat them delivered.
steelwatergunsafes.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=25

I got two smaller 22 gun versions so I can actually move them myself if I have to. All manufacturers overstate the number of guns they hold. A 22 gun safe will hold about 12 long guns.
Old January 26, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Roundeye

Anyone have a v line hideaway safe? Im thinking about getting one they're all mechanical.
Old January 26, 2012, 10:47 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

The safe I use is not really a "gun safe" but rather a large commercial style safe. Remember that gun safes are for multiple purposes -

first and foremost, as in your mentiond circumstances, it is used to secure and keep your firearms away from anyone who does not have permission or who you do not want to have access to

- second, a gun safe is also to protect your firearms in case of fire - when you look at them, considering the fire rating of the safe - i.e. 1 hour rating, 2 hour rating, etc. - this is a guideline to how long the contents of the safe will be protected in case of fire although the location of the safe, intensity of the fire, etc. also come in to play

- third - a safe is used as a deterrent to the theft of your firearms - however you have to consider the size/weight of the safe. Some of the ones I've seen are nice safes, but if I was buying one, I would want to make sure that it could either be bolted to the floor or the wall so that it couldn't be easily picked up and carried out by a burgular or easily moved on a hand cart. Having been a business owner and the victim of several burglaries, I can attest to the fact that even large commercial safes can be moved if the burgular / s are determined.

- in your circumstances - if you cannot afford a safe right now, look in to the various "lock boxes". I've seen several different styles and models up at the range that I shoot at that are reasonable in price - one style looks like an electrical service box that you cut a hole in the drywall between studs and bolt to the studs on the inside and it has a key lock - I'm guessing you could get maybe 4 handguns in it depending upon size. It would work great in a closet and to the casual glance, it could easily be mistaken for a electrical service box - especially to a burgular who was in a hurry.

Just my thoughts . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 27, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
FAS1

I have a safe (RSC) in the closet for my guns and a FAS1 SAFE for my dedicated HD gun. Simplex lock and 3/16" steel make it pretty secure when you bolt it down.

Here's how it opens: FAS1 SAFE VIDEO CLIP
Old January 27, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
skortch

I shopped around for a small gunbox/safe about a year ago. Most of the fingerprint and electronic fingerpad ones seemed cheap and flimsy, were made in China, and didn't have the greatest reviews online.

The V-line seemed like a step above those, and I appreciated the simplicity of the Simplex lock. The construction, while better, still was a bit more lightweight gauge steel than I would have liked.

I went with a Fort Knox pistol box. Much heavier duty, made in the US, and enough room for a couple of handguns. No problems whatsoever in the past year of ownership. Eventually I also bought a gun cabinet for the closet to hold rifles and ammo.

Although I didn't buy it, the FAS1 linked above looks very promising as well, especially for bedside or car/truck - I might pick one up one of these days.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:54 PM   #8
a1abdj

The FAS1 safe is an excellent product. The photos don't do it justice.

It's heavy steel, uses the reliable Simplex mechanical lock, and has a small gas piston that pushes the door open for you. The attached holster presents the firearm for a quick draw, and a second gun (if not too large) can be placed in the bottom.