The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 8, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
fastforty

Help with rifle cartridge ID

I aquired a couple of brass clips each containing 6 rounds of rifle ammo. The bullets are quite long & protruding from the cases. Headstamp is BP (on top of circle) & B 18 (on bottom of circle). On the bottom of one clip is LN + C-17, and the other one says BP + B-20 (Googling these numbers didn't produce any valuable info).

I'd like to know what caliber/rifle these were made for, & the approximate vintage. I will probably polish one set up nice & purdy & leave the other as-found.

For comparison, left to right: Cartridge in question, .243, 30-30, cartridge in question again, 30-06, then the full clip.

Thanx in advance

Below is a nice big pic, but it's only 13kb

Old June 9, 2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Cartridges are 6.5x52 Italian in six-shot enbloc clip for the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle. The combination was in use from 1891 through WW II.

Exact source and age would just be speculation on my part but there is an Italian ammunition company Bascheri & Pegliari and it is common for military ammunition to be dated in the headstamp.
Old June 9, 2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Cartridge identification is correct.

I should be able to give you manufacturer this evening when I get home and get access to my references.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 10, 2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've got your answers...

BP / B-20

The BP are the initials of the Italian's chief government inspector at the time. No notation is made of his name. The cartridges were made at Pirotecnico de Bologna in 1920.

LN / C-17

Also Italian, LN are the initials of Leggiadre Nicola, the chief inspector. Production was at Pirotecnico di Capua in 1917.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 12, 2006, 01:38 AM   #5
fastforty

Awesome, a million thanx