The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 13, 2012, 12:11 AM   #101
dacaur

Quote:
Ask me about space shuttles and I'll tell you they're outdated and prone to overheating on re-entry if more than a few ceramic tiles fail to adhere...but I have no firsthand experience.
Yea, and I can tell you that if the a tie rod on a chevy truck breaks on the freeway you are going to crash... thats called stating the obvious, not having an opinion.
Old March 13, 2012, 01:03 AM   #102
jcwit

This has gotten ridiculous.
Old March 13, 2012, 08:36 AM   #103
wncchester

"I figure a lee primer loader is good for about 10 to 20 thousand rounds then it breaks."

I figger it's like any other small mechanical device; keep the moving surfaces lubed and don't lean on it like a gorilla and it'll last nearly forever.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #104
jag2

I posted in a similar thread recently that I would hate to be an engineer at Lee because I think they design really good products but then the production department makes them with less than desirable materials. About two days later the handle on my Auto Prime broke. Yes, they made a good product for $20 but imagine how much better it could have been for $25. If given the choice I would have spent the $25. There is a replacement unit for sale that is made from aircraft quality aluminum and stainless steel. Yes, it costs $70 but I feel quite confident it will never break. I wonder how many replacement handles and links Lee either sold or replaced for free during the years.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #105
Edward429451

Quote:
Assumptions are why you are a lee hater in the first place
But I am not. I just don't use their presses. I have 2 FCD and like them (one after modification), a slew of Lee moulds, chamfer tool, dippers, and used to use their zip trim until I bought a (gasp) RCBS Trim Pro. I'm not as tactile as you might think, I have eyes, comprehension, mechanical aptitude, and critical thinking skills.

I can walk up on a machine spend two minutes with it, and tell you if I like it. If I think it's solid equipment or junk. Thats what I do is fix stuff!

You don't know that that guy ran that press with a bunch of loose bolts. You're reaching...

Quote:
Not without knowing the story behind it.
Maybe for you! In my line of work, I get lied to regularly about what happened and I have to sort out the truth myself for the insurance company. I'm pert darn good at forensic analysis of broken mechanical equipment.

If you ever get to use any better equipment than Lees, perhaps you will get it then. (You just don't know what you're missing!
Old March 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #106
Unclenick
Staff

Seems to me the thread has run its course and nobody's minds will be changed further. I think Lost Sheep has what he wants, anyway, so I'll go ahead and close the thread before too many thumbs get stuck in too many eyes. If someone disagrees, PM me. It can alway be unclosed if there's a reason to.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread