The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 24, 2005, 02:44 AM   #1
JBannon

Where to buy competition rifles?

Who sells what? Opinions on them?
Old July 24, 2005, 11:01 AM   #2
LegendF1

Looking at your other thread, I'll assume you mean an AR15 of some type or another?

For service rifles, Rock River Arms makes an excellent starter rifle. Bushmaster and Armalite makes 'em too, and they'll all do fine to get you started.

After you've shot the barrel off one of those and need to rebarrel, consider John Holliger at White Oak Armament or Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering , two of the finest custom AR builders out there. They also sell complete upper assemblies, if you want a top flight, no holds barred upper to start with. They also make fine match rifle uppers if that's the route you wanted to go.

-Quintin
Old July 24, 2005, 03:45 PM   #3
JBannon

No, I mean in general.
Old July 25, 2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Gee, I don't know of anybody doing business as Target Rifles R Us and handling guns suitable for many different events. Legend listed the main sources for Highpower Over The Course rifles. If you wanted to get back into Smallbore, Champion's Choice in Nashville sells Anschutz and a few other .22 target rifles. Looks to me like most of the Long Range rifles are pretty much custom propositions.

Probably the best thing to do is to find a convenient range and go get acquainted and see what events are being shot and what rifles are most prevalent. Most folks will be pleased to brag on their rifles.
Old July 25, 2005, 02:44 PM   #5
Zak Smith

Let us know the discipline you want to shoot, and we can give you good answers.
Old July 25, 2005, 04:58 PM   #6
JBannon

I'm looking to do Highpower competitions.

Jim: I have my own piece of land I can shoot on.
Old July 25, 2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Jim Watson

A friend and I shoot on his acreage which has laser ranged target stands for the silhouette distances 200-500 metres and 600 yards for Highpower. It is great for testing and practice but does not replace going to matches.

The little bit of Long Range I have shot, while watching the Highpower shooting going on, I was surprised to see the number of M1As and bolt actions in use versus the tide of ARs. An accomplished bolt gunner shooting rapid fire is a wonderful thing to see.
Old July 25, 2005, 08:45 PM   #8
JBannon

I've always practiced like I'm at a match. You get into a routine and eventually the matches feel like practice.... no stress and you shoot relaxed. I come from a competitive shooting background. The only reason I stopped was to go to college. We had our own private indoor and outdoor range, which we would also let the local departments use while we weren't. I probably wont have an indoor range built (though I have considered it). I will have an outdoor range built.
Old July 26, 2005, 11:10 AM   #9
30Cal

Try www.highpowerlinks.com It's a pretty good place to start shopping for gear, etc.

I got my M1A through Creedmore. They carry the Tubb rifle as well. Sinclair Int'l is another good place, but more geared towards Match Rifle than Service Rifle.

AR rifles can be picked up anywhere. Get a match upper and you should be ready to shoot.

Ty
Old July 31, 2005, 06:11 AM   #10
JBannon

Thanks for the link 30cal. Looks like some of those will keep me busy.

Quote:
AR rifles can be picked up anywhere.
I'm looking for competition ready.
Old July 31, 2005, 11:23 AM   #11
Zak Smith

Quote:
I'm looking for competition ready.
AR15 competition rifles are available from: JP Enterprises, White Oak Precision, RRA, etc.
Old August 1, 2005, 12:21 AM   #12
Lycanthrope

Get a RRA lower from Eagle firearms and an upper from White Oak Armament. Add in a 2 stage trigger from John Holliger of White Oak Precision and You'll have a gun better than you are for under $1000. Replace barrels once in a while and you can shoot it forever.
Old August 1, 2005, 03:39 AM   #13
Tim R

Quote:
Get a RRA lower from Eagle firearms and an upper from White Oak Armament. Add in a 2 stage trigger from John Holliger of White Oak Precision and You'll have a gun better than you are for under $1000. Replace barrels once in a while and you can shoot it forever.
Agree with the Lycan except get a White Oak Precision upper as well. I have a WOP upper with a wylde chambered 6 1/2 to 1 twist stainless Nor Pac barrel with a Holliger tuned RRA 2 stage trigger in a RRA Nm lower. Score to date out of 8 matches so far is 5 in the money with 4 wins. The rifle shoots is all I can say, if I do my part. Likes 69, 77 and 80 gr. SMK's and Reloader-15....haven't tried 90 gr. SMK's yet.
Old October 4, 2005, 11:48 AM   #14
MrGee

i just start reading up at http://benchrest.com/ an found http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/the_list.html there as well....
Old October 16, 2005, 10:26 PM   #15
Pthfndr

Quote:
Quote:

Agree with the Lycan except get a White Oak Precision upper as well. I have a WOP upper with a wylde chambered 6 1/2 to 1 twist stainless Nor Pac barrel with a Holliger tuned RRA 2 stage trigger in a RRA Nm lower. Score to date out of 8 matches so far is 5 in the money with 4 wins. The rifle shoots is all I can say, if I do my part. Likes 69, 77 and 80 gr. SMK's and Reloader-15....haven't tried 90 gr. SMK's yet.
If you're just starting out go with the White Oak Armament upper. The WOA upper will be about $300 (or more) less than a WOP upper. WOA is a division of WOP. A WOP upper is custom/semi custom built by John Holliger himself. (how fast you go=how much you spend) The WOA uppers are made to John Holligers specs for him by Compass Lake Engineering. WOP and CLE are THE two names in HP AR competition.

FWIW, I've been shooting HP a number of years now and have a WOP upper, with another new one on the way. But if I was on a really tight budget I would have NO problem with a WOA upper.
Old October 19, 2005, 01:23 PM   #16
Helmut

www.jprifles.com